Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Understood, it was my decision and that's what I went with for the sake of the iso size. LXLE statistics show an overwhelming english base, as I'm sure Linux Deepin shows an overwhelming chinese base. Sometimes catering to a crowd is simply because that's your crowd. I wouldn't expect a Vietnamese distribution to fully support english, nor be shocked that they saved space by removing other languages. There is a command or two to run in a terminal and you're back in business, it's not as if it won't support other languages at all.
  • Hey all, I've been lightly messing around with Ubuntu for about 4 years now. Nothing crazy. Plex server on a 1TB drive while also running a RAID 5 3x3TB drive for backups from my laptop and main desktop. Multiple virtual-box setups to break things a lot in a safe environment, soo many virutal-boxes. I've been using windows as my main os but I've always wanted to make the switch. Completely. Cold Turkey.

Well, tonight is that night. I'm here for my laptop I'm using lxle on. I've hopped through quite a few different flavors of Ubuntu and Debian, but nothing ran quite like I wanted. Lxle is different. Regardless of the boot time inherent in lxle, the laptop still boots faster then anything else. It'll be my substitute for my usual doings while I start building my own Arch install. Eventually, I'll move back to my main desktop, but not until I break things a couple times first. I know I will :D
  • Hi lxle, this time your language-support-easy-fix worked. Nevertheless I vote for at least two non-English languages on the ISO. Things like keyboard-layout are to deeply spliced with the OS, that removing it, will make several applications unstable.

The better way is, to keep it functional with minimum effort. There will be enough folks to help you guarantee to choose Mandarin or Spanish runs out of the box. The other 26 languages don't need to be on the ISO, but please keep them on the main repositories. Speakers of the other two-hundred languages that are officially used by country's know how to obtain help. So there is not a single African among that 26 most spoken ones. Wikipedia tells us about thousands of registers and dialects.

The argument with the statistic doesn't count. People go the easiest way. Is it more difficult to get old hardware run or to implement a language? But even if your distribution is solely for English speaking US citizens, there are enough businessman that have to deal with Chinese and/or Hispanics (Trans-Pacific Trade). For those it would be great help, if they can easy switch the layout.