Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • mattnmagmattnmag
    PMPosts: 1

Hello,

I’ve been playing around with Linux over the last few years, mainly as a hobby. I love all kinds of technology and enjoy learning new ideas. I’ve tried many different distros over the last few years and I’m currently running dual boot Ubuntu/Windows 10 on my newer laptop, and dual boot LXLE/antiX set up on my older HP/Compaq C500 (GF370AV) laptop.

The version of LXLE that I’m currently running is 32 bit 16.04.1 Eclectica release and it’s working great on this old machine.

I can tell that the developers have spent a great deal of time and energy making this distro, and I greatly appreciate all of the hard work that has went into it. I’m looking forward to continuing to use it and hope to be able to make some small positive contributions to the LXLE community.

Thanks,

Matt
  • NisaeaNisaea
    PMPosts: 4
    Hi!

I'm currently testing my fresh install of LXLE on an old, small laptop and I must say, I'm impressed! I used to have Fedora on it with a home made environment I built over Openbox but since I don't use this machine for work anymore I figured I'd use it to test the distro before installing on the hubby's netbook.

It's really nice, not slow at all, and I quite like the idea that lightweight and minimalist don't necessarily have to go hand in hand. Great job guys! :) It'll be perfect for him!

Cheers
  • Hello from Ruhr valley, Germany,
    on distrowatch.com I found LXLE as the #17-distro and suitable for old computers. In fact my Pentium D codenamed Smithfield is not really old. Anyway it was correctly recognized by the OS.

But unfortunately LXLE seems to buggy at other criteria. So it seems impossible to set the desired lang-code. Another problem is to find a good mirror. Further ntp doesn't work as it should. Also OpenGL is shown as unknown.

So still there a lot of work until I feel thrilled with LXLE.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    opengl showing as unknown in system profiler means nothing. System profiler does the best it can identifying but it's not flawless. A good mirror is a sourceforge problem. Languages for some people need to have locales reinstalled as some languages not needed during build were removed to save space in the final ISO.

Open a Terminal

sudo locale-gen

then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales

I wouldn't call it 'a lot' of work, I'd call it 'adjusting' something that was free.

• To type sudo locale-gen is no problem. But first there was to install the lang-support with apt. And in the beginning the answer was, the needed packages were unavailable.

And with dpkg-reconfigure locales the terminal badly crashes. I think the LXLE-distro should take non-English languages more serious. They don't need much space so they should remain on the final ISO.
  • Rank    Language    native    other    total
    1    Mandarin Chinese    900 million    410 million    1.31 billion
    2    English    339 million    603 million    942 million
    3    Spanish    472 million    94 million    570 million
    4    Arabic    295 million    90 million    385 million
    5    Hindi    260 million    120 million    380 million
    6    Russian    150 million    110 million    260 million
    7    Bengali    240 million    19 million    259 million
    8    Portuguese    215 million    35 million    250 million
    9    Malay    77 million    173 million    250 million
    10    French    80 million    140 million    220 million
    11    German    95 million    115 million    210 million
    12    Urdu    68 million    94 million    162 million
    13    Punjabi    146 million     ?    146 million
    14    Japanese    130 million    0.0115 million    130 million
    15    Persian (Farsi)    60 million    50 million    110 million
    16    Swahili    16 million    82 million    98 million
    17    Tamil    80 million    12 million    92 million
    18    Italian    65 million    20 million    85 million
    19    Javanese    84 million     ?    84 million
    20    Telugu    75 million    6 million    81 million
    21    Korean    77 million     ?    77 million
    22    Wu Chinese    77 million        77 million
    23    Marathi    72 million    3 million    75 million
    24    Turkish    71 million    0.3 million    71 million
    25    Vietnamese    78 million     ?    78 million
    26    Yue Chinese    62 million     ?    62 million
  • lxlelxle
    actually additonal languages takes an enormous amount of space, about 300 mb. What method finally worked best for you?
  • In other distributions this seems to be no problem. I think Mandarin, Spanish and Arabic comes on the ISO.
    • Mandarin for speeches with special input method.
    • Spanish for a Latin language with more native speakers than english.
    • Arabic for a speech with right to left-direction.
    For the others of the 26 most important languages there have to be tested and maintained repositories. Since LXLE claims to be for old computers it should have in mind who uses old computers. That are less developed countries or rural areas, were people can't afford or have no access to cutting-edge gadgets.

Since Windows 10 I try to give some old machines a second live. But for productive use language support is absolute mandatory.

• lxlelxle
    ya, but lets be honest, there are plenty of distributions that specialize in certain languages only, the iso is slimmed where it could be in order to provide such a complete out of the box experience in a relatively small iso file size.
  • Lets be honest. I'd rather sacrifice some other packages than language since it's a KO-criteria.