Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • My story:

I have an old Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 (with Windows 7 Factory install). The screen doesn’t work quite right so I use it hooked by HMDI to a large screen tv to watch videos, tv shows, etc. It stopped working... wouldn’t get to the log in stage. I tried MANY times to use a repair disk, my recovery disks and restore to factory default. No luck. All self tests said hardware is fine. So I put Windows 10 on a USB and tried to load that. It worked.  Of course it doesn’t recognize that this was an upgrade and wants me to pay for it which I won’t.

A neighbour suggested an open source OS and google led me to LXLE Desktop as a good one for those who know nothing of these things plus I read you can make it look like Windows (but I think that was for an earlier version since it didn’t work for me).  I got LXLE 14.04.3 to work (and it removed all Windows 10 stuff in the process). I even got video and audio to work on the tv.  (Yay me!)

My new challenges are to have the tv keep going when the laptop lid closes and to have it go to full screen properly. I compensate right now by keeping the lid open a crack and by zooming video etc to 170% to fill the tv screen (but I think it blurs a bit.)

No matter these small issues I am thrilled to a working laptop again. Sorry for the long intro but that’s why I’m here and happily so. Thanks.

Yolanda

Google is my friend.
    Dell Inspiron N5110
    LXLE Desktop 64bit
  • LamentConfiguration, from Southern Illinois.

Definitely a member of the "hooked on computers since i found one" club, always enjoyed digging in and getting to know the tricks and power of an os, regardless of what it was on.

Been fiddling with linux derivatives for about 15 years now, mostly just as a secondary fiddle around with, primarily booting into win2k or win7. Just really got disenfranchised with how much maintaining my win boxes needed compared to how little the linuxes needed.

Went no-win when I stopped playing World of Warcraft, and have been a distro-hopping madman for a long while (unicorns don't exist...), before finding LXLE. I hopped away from it the first couple times, but always found myself comparing whatever i was running to LXLE, and enjoying LXLE more. So I have made it my daily linux, with a couple of other partitions set aside to mess around with whatever catches my eye.

Coming from the WoW-background, I'm actually running LXLE on some pretty stout hardware (ASUS RoG laptop), but I love just how fast everything is, while being aesthetically pleasing without being flashy, animated, and/or annoying.

I truly look forward to calling LXLE my "home" OS.

-LC
  • Hi I'm Denis from Trinidad and Tobago. I have have using LXLE for the past three years or so. I was using Ubuntu before but when Unity was introduced, (and although I liked it) it slowed down my oldish laptap considerably, so started looking around for a lighter distro. After trying a few I found LXLE, liked it very much, it brought back life to my laptop and have been using it ever since. I am very happy with you
  • kmpirzadakmpirzada
    PMPosts: 2
    Hi ..

I am new to LXLE and linux. Here to learn, share and grow. Hopefully.

Thanks,
    Khurram
    - K

----
    Here to learn and grow
  • jcglt : a user of Linux since 1996. I used Red Hat, Mandriva, Slackware and others then shifted 6 years ago to Ubuntu since Ubuntu 9.04. My current laptop uses this bloody graphic SIS671 chip and I experienced a lot of difficulties to get it work properly with Ubuntu, I mean get a nice 1280x800 resolution and 6 non blurred consoles (CTRL+ALT+F1 to F6). I read that some developers could design working drivers for it until 12.04 but not after 12.10. Currently running LXLE 12.04.5 with all these problems solved. I just wonder what will happen after April of 2017 when this nicely working 12.04 will not anymore be maintained. I guess 16.04LTS will have been working for months then but will I be able to recognize my old computer hardware and this bloody SIS671 or will it be better to remain sticked to a not anymore maintained but nicely running 12.04.5 ? 
  • Hello and thanks for the speedy invite !
    I'm James from London (England).

Bit of a Distro hopper and was a fan of Puppy (running from RAM, speed, USB stick or disk. Tried various Ubuntu spins such as Mint but often found issues running them on older hardware such as the Thinkpad T41. Tried Elementary OS and LXLE and liked both but LXLE ....well there's something about it. I really like the random wallpapers and even the gf peered over and remarked how pretty they were. And yes, as others here have said, it pretty much works out of the box recognising all hardware such as wireless and the keyboard controls for light, volume etc. It works on my old Macbook Pro (from DVD) as well as Thinkpad and now Dell Latitude D505. Both the Thinkpad and the Dell are limited to 2Gb of RAM and both have older (much older) processors yet LXLE works fine. Yes Puppy loads into RAM and is v.small and fast but it also needs a lot of setting up (wireless etc) on most hardware I've tried it on. Also LXLE is quite pretty - I even like the aesthetic on this forum ;)

Apart from school, I started on the Commodore Amiga, later various PCs with 3.1, 95, 98, XP ...and then Macs and the OSXs because I switched from academia and Psychology to Design. I sort of knew Windows inside out for years because I was always messing around with settings, the Registry etc but when I switched to to G5s and the MacBookPro I didn't mess around so much under the hood (because I didn't need to and also because there was less that *could* be done anyway) . As a consequence 'lost' a fair amount of computing knowledge through lack of use.

Various Apple decisions have alienated me (soldering the memory into the MiniMacs so it can't be added later but one has to pay a premium for 'Apple memory' at time of purchase) as well as lack of support for software older than 3 years or so and they won't even look at  my mid-2009 MBP for ready money because it is 'obsolete'. Apple are dropping support for the current operating system I have on it Mountain Lion so I am looking to put LXLE on that. Probably dual boot and meanwhile just stick to OSX on desktop.

I really wanted to have LXLE running from on a USB stick on the MBP but there is a problem withe graphics cards that others have also run into when using such programs as Unebootin. (ie it's nothing to do with LXLE specifically, more that particular year of MacbookPro). Not sure I have as much patience as I once did for dicking around and trying to fix it especially as the instructions about changing Grub are so vague. It's a shame as I really fancied taking a 32bit version of LXLE around on a stick and being to plug it into any hardware I have and having the same environment. Anyway, I have ended up properly installing it on two of the Dells and a Thinkpad and occasionally running it Live off a DVD on the MBP. I have external monitors for the laptops so I'm not stuck at 1024/768 resolution.

I get a perverse delight in running a modern (safe) operating system on an old piece of kit the same way as I get a kick out of souping up and old car and being faster off the lights or on the motorway than some modern expensive depreciating poncy motor.
    Mostly I don't see why a system with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53Ghz 8Gb RAM Mac is crawling to a halt and wheel-of-deathing when all I'm doing is web-browsing, albeit with a few windows open...
    So, thank you again LXLE and I'm sure contributions will be coming ...
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Welcome all, Thanks for checking out LXLE.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • Hello ,my name is Nikolaus and I am from Athens Greece
    I am with gnu/linux  about two years now since the XP's run out of support.
    Getting involved with older hardware found LXLE working perfect on the ancient machines of mine so  I installed it as my main OS of my "modern" laptop an ACER Aspire 7520 ,AMD Turion TL-60, 2GB ram and everything is working out of the box .

It worked fine  on older laptops that I tried as well :

1.HP NC6000 Pentium M725 ,768 MB ram
    2.HP DV1000 Pentium M735, 1536 MB ram
    3.Acer Aspire 1641 Wlmi , Pentium M725 , 2GB ram

Thanks LXLE team

Salute moi le platan
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Glad to hear that LXLE is working for you.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • GeorgalGeorgal
    PMPosts: 3
    Hi,
    I am using Linux since 2007 and LXLE since 12.04.1
    Already installed it in many old and new PCs and laptops of mine and friends.
    It is amazing how all the old PCs (without exception, really!) revived and still keep working!
    I never had important problems installing LXLE. Some issues resolved with help from the Linux community.

Using LXLE makes me save money and time.
    Thanks a lot!!!
    I had a dream...
    I was a pinguin!