Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • Great Story about your wife's laptop! 
    ;))

Lxle Paradigm made such happy campers out of so many of us. Nice to see you in the forum.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • williamwilliam
    PMPosts: 2
    William here from the USA.

Greetings to all my LXLE brethren. I have recently made the switch to linux from Windows 8. which I used for a few months, and found it irritating. I am a firm believer that an OS shouldn’t get in the way of the work you do on a computer.

I researched on the interwebs and came up with an overwhelming amount of information on alternative operating systems. Even trying a few thanks to a nifty little program called Univeral USB Installer. I eventually came across some very positive reviews of LXLE which piqued my interest.

I am very pleased so far with LXLE, It's like a well stocked toolbox, with everything that an average user could want or need. I am still learning and the documentation provided here has been most helpful. My sincere thanks to those who contribute to this project. It's something to be proud of.

Thanked by 1lxle
  • @william
    Thanks for the feedback, William.  I'm just learning to love LXLE as well... everyday, something new pops up, and my jaw drops.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • PaulB65PaulB65
    PMPosts: 3
    Hello Everyone - this is Paul calling from Toulouse in France. I'm an aeronautical engineer who's been working with personal computers since the first ones appeared in school in 1980 when my father, a teacher, brought home a Research Machines 380Z (for those from the UK).

I have finally entered the Linux world as a result of gradually replacing my families Windows boxes with Apple products and having a pile of old PCs that I couldn't convince myself to throw away. My wife's frustration with the growing pile of beige boxes was the impetus that I needed and I have gone through Mint 13, PuppyLinux, Fedora and Ubuntu before stumbling on LXLE which is now the permanent distro on this old Dell Aspire Pentium 4.

Despite all my various computer experiences, my knowledge of Linux is very poor, so I ask you to be patient with me whilst I ask questions that I really should know the answer to (or that I should have found elsewhere on the 'net if I had spent the time looking).

Cheers

Paul B
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @PaulB65
    Merci, Paul.  Don't worry about the extent of your experience around here.  I'm the designated noob, and they find ways to put my lack of knowledge to good use.  New comers show the developers how to fix their documentation.  They know their stuff so well, they forget what it is like to be a student.  We hone their patience. =)   I have a Pentium 3 running Lubuntu.  Want to put LXLE on it, so it will go even faster.  [My first computer was a radio shack trs 80.]     Welcome to the forums.
  • WildbillWildbill
    PMPosts: 17
    Hello, I'm Bill from the USA. I'm a retired database programmer (I now fix small engines).  I started using Linux back around 2002 when I got fed up with Windows (although I made a good living from the Windows environment), like most.  I have tried quite a few distro's but finally settled on Debain based distro's.  Although I have been using Linux for quite some time I don't know as much as I should technically.  After working all day on the computer and with Windows the last thing I wanted to do at night was work on the computer, other then normal activates.

As with most people who work with computers, I usually inundated with Windows computers to fix.  Especially virus, malware & spyware infections. So I have gotten quite a few folks move over to Linux.  Over the last couple of years I have been installing Zorn on their computers because it looked and felt like Windows.  Now that I have found LXLE it gives me another tool in my tool box.

About two months ago my old test machine bit the dust, so Like Fredbird67  I inherited a laptop from our granddaughter.  I have installed LXLE on her old Dell Inspiron and was quite pleased I had it up and running with in minutes and no problems. It has been stable and I have had fun checking everything out and doing a little customizing.  Thanks for being patient with the ramblings of an old man and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Bill
  • kc1dikc1di
    PMPosts: 9
    Hi All, 

I've been using Linux from very early on. 1994 or so have used many Distros and enjoyed some hated others.  LXLE is one of the I love it.  Keep up the good work. This one is pleasing and easy and works for me.  Look forward to being of help in the future.  

• blutohblutoh
    PMPosts: 8
    OK, don't laugh now, but I've been using Unix since 1981 (started on PDP-11 mini), and Linux since 1998, really.  I started out as a software engineer 38 years ago. I am still in the software development space, only now I work as a PMP on application development projects.  In my daily work life I have used CDE on Solaris workstations and have been doing so for many years, and that's why I use KDE on my home desktop.
    Linux has been running in my home since 1998 (started with Slackware). There hasn't been a windows box in my home since 2002. Even my wife's pc runs Linux. Recently a good friend gave me his old Dell Inspiron 700m 'netbook' sized notebook with a 1.6GHZ Pentium-M chip, 1 GB ram, and no PAE. I decided to try and turn it into a decent, small notebook I can drag around with me. I was looking at various lightweight distro's that would give me decent performance, when I came across LXLE. Needles to say, I ripped out the XP that was on the 700m and installed LXLE. I was stunned at how quick the little notebook runs, it's smokin' fast.  I showed it to some of my tech buddies today and they couldn't believe how well it performed. One asked if I had a solid state drive (it's not). I showed it to a teacher friend, who is an apple biggot, and within minutes she was comfortable with the osx paradigm. Everyone loves the way it can switch layouts. LXLE is a great way to breathe life into old hardware. I think it might be a good way to get PCs into the hands of those who can't 
    afford them, a way to recycle with a beneficial result for those who need one.  Anyway, that's my story, I love  LXLE and I'm here to stay. ;-)  

blutoh
  • inearlygaveupinearlygaveup
    PMPosts: 2
    Good morning to you all, Martin from England here. Just joined and looking around, so far, so good.
    I like what I see.
    To test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • miaurielmiauriel
    PMPosts: 45
    Hey everyone!

Will from Canada here!, Ive used Linux off and on for years but recently switched from Win7 to Mint13  Cinnamon. Although it was ok, Ive used Lubuntu in the past and just enjoy a lighter system. I like what Im seeing so far but I have some concerns. I'll paste them in another part of the forum.

Feel free to msg me!

Cheers dudes!

~running lxle64 on a Toshiba L650 4gb RAM 
    ~MU

Running LXLE on a Toshiba Satellite L65006Q 4GB RAM
    "A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end." George S. Patton