Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • ProSoundGuyProSoundGuy
    PMPosts: 34
    Hello Everyone!

I'm Matt in KY. I've been a linux guy since around 97 I think. I have tried to find a distro I like for many years and always stayed to some Debian based dist. I find things I like about all of them but quickly found a lot I didn't like. Lite distros are usually cheap looking and very lacking. When I found and tried LXLE I was shocked that you can fit such a slick looking fast OS in a such a small footprint. Great work! I'm sold on it from here on out!

Nice to meet you all!

Self Proclaimed LXLE Nut! My fastest box running LXLE is an 8 core i7 and my slowest is a P3 Dell. Lovin every minute of it!

HAK something!
    Thanked by 2lxle [Deleted User]
  • CupCakeCupCake
    PMPosts: 5
    I'm Sherry from the ATL. In a networking class I'm attending, there was mention of Linux, which I'd never heard of before. From the moment I started researching this phenomenon, I have been obsessed with trying out different distros and found LXLE. I love it!! I've come across minor glitches and I'm able to fix it myself. I never had this much fun with Windows. I'm hooked!
    To the world, you may be one person..To one person, you may be the world.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • netipotnetipot
    PMPosts: 7
    I'm Harold from Maine. I have used linux since 2006 since my first computer, windows, died an early death. I lost most everything on it because of a mistaken belief in HP support. Having little money I bought a zonbu box for $200 and it was great of course because it's linux. Plugged it into the HP hardware I had & it was like having my own library terminal at home that I could use whenever I wanted. I say that because Zonbu was the system administrator & it had cloud storage. I knew nothing about computers & lived in blissful ignorance, until 2 years later when Zonbu closed shop. They had a tutorial on how to install ubuntu 8.04 & it was like a breath of fresh air & lost no files because of the automatic cloud storage. I have saved the hardy heron wallpaper to this day. So now I had to learn about computers but it was fun. Still love ubuntu but it does not run well on old hardware & moved to wattos. I like lxle & might very well stick with it.
    I find it a little hard to convert many people over to linux & I realize that even though you can create a linux desktop to look like windows I think many people are married to many of their windows apps. I think of internet explorer & outlook & word & excel & quicken & itunes. I made the transition very easily since I never had used any of these on my windows machine because my geek cousin set it up with firefox & open office.
    I call them windows addictions. Hard to give up, but easy if you have never been exposed to them.
  • XheraltXheralt
    PMPosts: 16
    I started using Linux in 2005, with the short-lived EasyLinux and Fedora 8.  I am Registered Linux User #459491.  The Fedora install was on the very same Compaq V2000 I've mentioned in another thread (and am now honorably retiring).  That box has a Broadcom wifi card (BCM4318), which as you longer-term folks know, historically gave Linux troubles.  It dual booted WinXP (until an experimental install of Gentoo wiped the ntfs partition....boooo!), so I literally just reached into the ntfs partition and copied the *ini file for ndiswrapper to use.  However, Fedora's frequent kernel updates broke ndiswrapper every time, I got tired of having to restore the BCM4318 config, so I started distro-hopping.  From there, I settled into stabler KDE distros (usually Debian- or Mandriva-based).  *buntu's underpinnings back then were typically too clunky and slow for my hardware mostly, although I've always liked LinuxMint.  Even when I don't use it, I get the distro & try it, from "Celina" on.  I've got a friend running the current Mint LTS release.  I admin the internet terminals at a coffeeshop, 2@PCLinuxOS, 1@Mageia, 1@WinXP.  My home machines (laptop and desktop) alternate between PCLinuxOS, Mageia, and SimplyMEPIS, depending on which is the least broken in any given year ;)  Right now, it's all PCLOS (except for my second, Win7, laptop.  I always keep one valid windows machine).  *buntu's Unity interface has me mostly approving, now that KDE4's needs are beginning to exceed my ageing hardware.  I really like the look of LXLE, and am trying to use it on the coffee shop's music server (aka internet radio); having some difficulties, hopefully my posts in the help thread will straighten it out.
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Hello from Georgia, USA!

So many comments here reflect my own experience!

Been computing since they begged for an OS when you turned them on.  Building my own for 20 years and was disgusted when the OS was the most expensive component.  Been into Linux seriously since the Gustsy Gibbon days, tried most all 'new' distro releases but was comfortable with the 'buntus (depending on the hardware) until Unity happened.

I still run Lubuntu on challenged hardware and have been recommending and installing Linux Mint for noobs, as well as on my own desktops and Thinkpads.  For the past year I've been weary of always tinkering with the OS on a 6 month cycle rather than just using the computer and have been looking for rolling releases to get some relief.

Debian may be more solid, but is a large hassle to get all hardware recognized and operating ~ how we get spoiled by the Ubuntu install routine!  Manjaro has a great deal of promise for doing for Arch what Ubuntu did for Debian ~ but, they dropped official Cinnamon support and that was a deal breaker for me.

The recent LMint 16 fubar'd the suspend routine on one desktop and I had to rollback to LM15 ~ suspend is a must have ~ it sure beats rebooting.  So...I was looking for a serious change and was looking at the new version of Lubuntu and stumbled into a review of LXLE ~ I installed the 12.04.4rc and am not looking back.

It will most likely become my new distro for noobs ~ especially for those looking to (forced in April) ditch Windoze or those who just would like their computer to get a life.  I like to set someone up for success and as LXLE has a paradigm for just about anyone; this overcomes the 1st hurdle!  I also like to set them up and forget them ~ a few basic instructions and some early coaching usually gets folks comfortable quickly.  It's much easier these days than even 5 years ago.

I'm pleased to spread the LXLE news ~ absolutely nothing like taking something solid as a rock and adding some chrome and sparklies!  Kudos to the developers for recognizing a need and filling it with such aplomb!

• cmurwaycmurway
    PMPosts: 27
    Hello all,

Nice to meet you all. I am Craig (originally from NY) and now I reside in Charlotte, NC. I love LXLE & cannot thank you enough for creating it and I will do my best to get the word out there!

Sincerely,

Craig
    Running LXLE on Toshiba Satellite M105 S3041 2 Gigs of Ram ( Intel Core Solo T1350 / 1.86 GHz ) / 80.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm / Intel GMA 950 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 3.0
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • ShadeShade
    PMPosts: 11
    I am just another one tired of windows. Really like this lxle. Have a really old e-machine that first came out with windows xp. Know my way around xp pretty well. I sometimes have trouble picking up on things from reading material. I like pictures. Hello-greetings.
  • colincolin
    PMPosts: 17
    I started using Linux in 2010, moving from Windows XP to Xubuntu. My main computer is a netbook (first a 10" Eee PC & now an 11" Aspire One -- recently upgraded to SSD & 4 GB of RAM) so I've focused on lighter distros. Though I occasionally tried other distros out of curiosity I stuck with Xubuntu until last fall when I put Crunchbang on the Eee. When I finally got around to putting it on the Aspire, I learned that a lot of the RAM it saved over Xubuntu came from the difference between 32- and 64-bit installations so I went back to Xubuntu (I like Crunchbang a lot and it's surprisingly friendly out of the box, but configuring it is sometimes a hassle for me). But Xubuntu doesn't play well with my PDF editor (or vice versa), and after my time with Crunchbang I'd grown used to the absence of those issues so I went looking again and have provisionally settled on LXLE. I'm bumping into a few little issues (some just due to being accustomed to Xfce rather than LXLE) but there's a lot I like about it. In any case, I can't spend all my time changing my computer so I'm digging in for now ;-)

(Having recently upgraded the computer, I've also gone single-boot and demoted Windows to a virtual machine.)
  • drumdrum
    PMPosts: 3
    Hello,
    I started with linux in 2006, have been used MS 3.11 for workgroups, 95, 98, 2000, xp and vista. My first linux was linux mint 6 'felicia' ever since i used all the versions of mint, sometimes ubuntu and recently i was on manjaro, antergos and KaOS. I discovered about LXLE on facebook and tought i give it a try on virtualbox but i has pleased me so much that i have made the switch on one of my desk's and replaced antergos with LXDE.
    I also run for the moment: KaOS, #!, point linux, mac osx and win7. I am the administrator of: http://www.linuxmintusers.be/forum/index.php and https://www.facebook.com/groups/214785925329884/ .
    So this is a little introduction of what i do
    ;)
    ps: i live in Europe, Belgium

It's not the software that's free; it's you.

"It does what I expect of it, when I expect it - otherwise, stays out of my way."
  • OAnghusaOAnghusa
    PMPosts: 4
    I'm new to any form of Linux, but started looking around for something to re-purpose an older (2006) laptop.  It ran fine on XP but with EOL coming, I wanted to get away from that. I found Ubuntu, ran a Live CD, and liked what I saw.  I took the plunge, but it wouldn't install.  It hung at the 'preparing to install' screen, and none of the solutions I found on the net seemed to matter.  It also kept dropping the wired network connection.  After looking some more, I found LXLE and figured that would be even better.  I installed that and never looked back.

Well, I am a convert.  I love LXLE, and am learning how configurable everything is.  It runs that old Dell (Celeron M 380 single core, 1.5G RAM) just great--rock solid and fast.  I now have another laptop I can rely on (along with the new Win8 box that's a couple months old). 

I also love the fact that LXLE is pretty much an 'out of the box' solution.  I don't HAVE to tweak anything if I don't want to--it just works.  I will be trying stuff out (not afraid to do that at all), but it's nice to know that it's lightweight but doesn't require you to 'settle' for anything.

I think our old desktop from 2003 is still in the basement--it was upgraded in '09 but not broken.  I will have to pull that out and fire it up.  If it works, LXLE will probably get installed on it too.  Originally, I was passing the old Dell laptop to my 6.5 year old daughter once LXLE was up and running, but I might just keep it for myself too, especially if the desktop isn't dead.  :-)

I will spread the word far and wide.  Thanks for LXLE.  I'm sold!