Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • wilburwilbur
    PMPosts: 18
    Hello from southern Az.
    Had 2 old machines running Win XP, so started looking into Linux to keep them going as spares.
    Put Lubuntu on both & was pretty happy, though I had a few problems getting both to my liking.
    I briefly tried Linux 5 yrs. ago (Ubuntu, Mepis) but came back to Windows.
    Last night I installed Mint 17 KDE as dual-boot w/ Win7 on my main computer. I like it & it looks great; but after using it for several hrs. it seemed kinda sluggish.
    So I'm googling for a distro to put on this main rig that looks good & won't be as sluggish as Mint & I stumble
    onto LXLE. Looks like just what the Dr. ordered.
    Tonight I will try to install it to replace Mint & might also install the 32bit on one of the spares.
    I'm very much a Linux newbie & I'm sure I'll be back with a lot of dumb questions.
    Big thanks to the guys who put this together!
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Welcome!
  • I am a total and complete Linux noob, if something of a Windows tech-head.

I've gotta say, I'm totally pleased LXLE was the second distro I tried after Zorin.  Zorin would never boot properly and, once I got sick of trying to make it work, I turned to LXLE.  Now that I have done so, and read some more info on Zorin, I'm completely baffled that Zorin is written up in a number of places as the "best" Linux entry point for an XP fugitive when a) it seems to be very fussy about getting installed right, and b) once you get it working, it doesn't have nearly the range of built-in software and UI  basics we enjoy with LXLE.

As I've read even more, plus installed some of the software I like in LXLE, I am increasingly convinced that LXLE is the ideal stepping-stone, especially on old hardware, from XP to Linux.  It has brought back an old HP tower from the edge of extinction.  It properly found and installed ALL my hardware and printer drivers (even if I still haven't figured out how to make it run an old D-Link DWA-130 rev. a wireless adapter and so have it on wired LAN).

The thing I'm happiest about is the fact that it "just works," and so I can go about the business of learning the Linux environment without wasting valuable time and building up frustrations, just trying to get it to do the most elementary things.

Some 4 years ago it must have been, I experimented with an Ubuntu dual-boot on an XP machine, and I just had to give it up as a failed experiment, after a few days of driver-hell.  LXLE has restored my faith in the concept that real people can adopt Linux, and do it successfully.

Thanks to the developers and the community at large for this uniquely noob-friendly distro.
  • harceharce
    PMPosts: 3
    Hi, I'm a hactivist and a school IT teacher/techy, been using linux for at least 10 years and quite happy with LXLE so far - implementing it on all of our school computers...
  • RobinRobin
    PMPosts: 24
    Hi!

I'm an unemployed college student with an ancient, relic of a computer, one step up from an abacus I think, that used to run WindowsXP. After XP became so maddengly slow and re-installation only helped for a short time, I shopped around with Google, assuming I would have to replace it. I was going to look at Macs, but omygosh the prices were outrageous. Google brought me a surprise called "Linux for Human Beings," and I ordered one of their CDs. It was wonderful, but butt-ugly until I learned how to change it, and as Ubuntu evolved it got heavier and heavier until it was as slow as XP. Ubu 9.04 was cool, but by the time it got to 10.04 I was playing with "ligtweight" desktop environments to keep my computer out of the landfill.  LXDE positively sucked in those days; buggy, halting, and ugly.  KDE, well, forget about it. I became an Xfce / Xubuntu fanboy until 14.04, when even my beloved favorite distro was acting like XP did.  I thought of just going back to 12.04 which was "okay," but I thought I'd look around a little first.

I found MX-14, a wonderful little Xfce distro built from Debian Stable. The "successor and rightful heir" of Mepis, taking it's name from it's noble heritage (Mepis / AntiX), it ran wonderfully until some kinda update crippled it.  I still dual boot into it because I love me some Xfce, but only if I need to do just minimal stuff. Looking around some more I found LXLE!

My first thought was, "No way. LXDE was buggy as hell last time." But I was intrigued by the screenshots and looked into it a little deeper.  I liked everything I read, including the developer's frank opinion of the new LXQt thing ("a fat pig," he called it, vowing to stay away from it as long as possible). Ha!  An honest developer who calls 'em like he sees 'em. Cool. So I decided to dual boot (never did it before and I'm a true technophobe so this was a really big deal for me). Wow.

I'm not a very good Linux reviewer, although some folks who have read my early blogs about distros liked them (my blog: A Technophobe's Confessions). So don't read it like a review, it's just my little story about how LXDE has become my favorite distro. Enjoy!

• ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Nice blog!

As you've learned ~ LXLE is for peeps who'd really rather the computer just work rather than constantly need tweaking.

Cheers!
  • scuzzmonsterscuzzmonster
    PMPosts: 1
    Greetings. Recent convert to Linux after finally tiring of my Acer Aspire One D257's efforts at coping with the demands of Win7 Starter. Not the machine's fault because FINALLY it's performing how I'd hoped it would a few years back. Still experimenting with various ISOs but LXLE is comfortably my favourite system to date.
  • G'day everyone!

I came a month ago to LXLE. Here's the story:
    my girlfriend's computer was really slow with Windows, so I asked a friend who used to work with Linux which OS we could use to revive it. And his advice was LXLE. I installed it on her laptop and all good!
    It worked so well that I decided to install it on mine (still keeping a Windows partition just in case). It works properly for all we need, which is not much: office work, music, movies and internet browsing. And it's so much faster than Windows 7! 
    Still struggling for some minor issues (for which I'm going to post about), but I love it!

I'm using a Sony Vaio 2xAMD-350 1,6GHZ Processor, 4GB RAM

• Howdy LXLE fans!
    I'm in California and tinkerer with a little bit of linux experience. I had a couple of older laptops that I came upon and was trying to make them work better than Vista and W7 on them. Loaded LXLE for a smooth, lightweight OS and it's been fine. I'm about to go load it onto a HTPC I've been running Ubuntu 14.04 on and switching it out to LXLE. 
    I like LXLE. It's efficient and does what I need it to do without bloat. 

Thanks for the work in putting it together and thanks to all who make the OS better.
    m
  • Cofetym from Arizona. New to Linux! Just jumped right in and installed LXLE on an ailing Dell Optiplex G280.    Bye!Bye!......XP 

Thanks for doing such great work on the OS a donation has been sent.