Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    PMPosts: 0
    Hello, hello.  
    Welcome to LXLE Desktop User Forums. 
    I'm a great fan of LXLE Paradigm 12.04.03, and volunteer with the comms and wiki writers.

If you wanna know:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/saintlulu

Great to see you here. Ping me anytime.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • Anonymouse52Anonymouse52
    PMPosts: 170
    Nice to make your acquaintance...
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
    Nice Horse, Mouse.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • somnambulistsomnambulist
    PMPosts: 24
    Hello,
    I am new to this distro but like it a lot. Having a few minor problems but have managed to find a few workarounds.Boots in 16 seconds on my quadcore - fastest I have ever been.I found the Forum harder to figure out than the distro itself but at least I am here.No avatar yet but I am working on it.Shalom!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Welcome somnambulist, post some of these issues up when you get a chance in the tips and trick section so I can figure out what they were and what you did to work around them, so next release I can implement your tweaks. :)
  • tsidocktsidock
    PMPosts: 1
    I am a long time evangelist of Linux, started with Caldera, Red Hat, and TurboLinux in 1996. Was beginning to settle on the UBUNTU's when Mint entered the scene. When UBUNTU changed to UNITY, I didn't hate it, I could see the vision.  but Mint 13 LTS is more stable in my house, that is until LXLE!  I could tell immediately that this was something good.  The boot time on an 8 year old PC was impressive, the artwork was top shelf!  The pre-installation of user software was nearly identical to my working suite.  Clearly a spin, but the first one that I could treat like a distro!  I wouldn't be here if I didn't care.  

I use Linux daily in a Windows shop to get around all of the restrictions that keep others from getting the work done.  

Tom
    Regular folks have no business running expensive OS's and corporate software. --Linux Evangelist
    Thanked by 2[Deleted User] lxle
    Thanks, Tom, for your encouraging comments. I'm a newcomer to Linux - 18 months in - and adore this respin.  It's so cool that such an experienced user as yourself finds such merit in the OS. 
  • faizfaiz
    PMPosts: 37
    I started Linux pretty late, only in late 2009. Ditched Ubuntu in favour of Fedora for 3 years or so. LXLE made me return to Ubuntu.
    I work as a internet marketing consultant for a living. So if you want to promote your site, you know where to go, LOL. For LXLE, I am available for free though and with pleasure. Wonderful work by Mr Wislir.
    Use Linux at work, in a office where only Macs and Windoze are used. Converted my sister, wife, two colleagues to Linux, Next on target are my parents.
    Have a superbaby of 3 months who is sharp enough to ask for the mobile when I call. Determined to make the world as much better as I can for him.
    Open source, RTS gaming, free internet and creative writing attracts me. Very enthusiastic about a baseball like game called cricket and represented my district as well.
    Did I take too much of your time?
    Thanked by 1Anonymouse52
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi all, for those of you that don't know me you can call me borunco. i have been with Linux for three years now, mostly in Lubuntu. Started testing everything Linux I could get my hands on, finally found Lubuntu back at 11.04 and just liked it, then LXLE came out, and was what I had been asking at Lubuntu the whole time. This is a great OS. anyways I'm a construction worker during the day, and a geek at night, I build computers and install OSs during my spare time. I try not to do anything Windows, but that's just me (don't judge me for it). I'm one of the admins for LXLE and proud of it. If any one  has a question feel free to ask, if we can't answer we will guide you to the right place.
    Enjoy
    borunco
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    Hello,

I am a Big Fan of LXDE, and was surprised when LXLE debuted. It is very usable, very attractive, and still light weight. I was using enlightenment for a while via the Bodhi distribution, but I kept breaking it. I haven't broken LXLE yet and I am impressed. What a great Linux Distribution. 

Thanks, for making it available!

rfry85
  • fredbird67fredbird67
    PMPosts: 24
    I'm Fred, and I'm originally from Springfield, MO and now living in St. Louis.

I've been a longtime Linux user, having made a clean break with Windows on the computer I had at the time in January of 2005, giving Windows 2000 the heave-ho in favor of Mandrake (shortly before Mandrake became Mandriva), and other than at work, where I unfortunately don't have a say in what OS I use (yes, it's that overpriced virus that masquerades as an operating system), I've never looked back.

As for my favorite desktop, I won't lie to yall -- my favorite Linux desktop is Xfce, and in fact, I've got Mint Xfce on my desktop box and I'm typing this from there.  This past winter, my wife's laptop really began bogging down.  It came with Windows XP on it, and we've had it since about a month or two after we got married in May of 2005.  Back in January, she asked me if I would get her a new laptop for Valentine's Day/her birthday (2/19).  I told her I could put a Linux distro on there for free, but that didn't fly with her (I swear I cannot convert my wife to Linux!) I told her I would, although given how I ROYALLY hate Windows 8's interface, if Windows 8 units were all I was able to find, I was getting her a Mac, which she objected to.  Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to that, as I found a Windows 7 unit at an Office Max only a mile and a half from us.

This means that I got her old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000, which has only 512 MB of RAM.  It has a Broadcom 4318 wireless chip in it, which not all that many distros detect, but LXLE is one of the ones that does.  For a while, I had Linux Lite on there, which uses Xfce as its desktop.  It was OK, although if I had multiple tabs open in Firefox (especially on Facebook), it REALLY began to bog down, and so that wouldn't do.  I then tried Bodhi.  One problem I had with Bodhi though was that I couldn't get it's Enlightenment desktop to honor my choice of GTK theme in the apps (bug, perhaps?).  I then downloaded the latest LXLE at work yesterday and installed it to a flash drive and tried it on my laptop last night.  The live USB worked fine although, installing it was a pain.  I ended up having to choose the installation option from the blue boot screen that UNetBootin generates, and during installation, I lost the wireless connection, plus it failed to redraw windows that had closed and just plain looked funky while installing.  But thankfully, everything was working perfectly once it was installed! :-)

One thing I've always loved about LXLE is the wallpapers y'all bundle with it.  What's more, I also keep a bootable copy of LXLE on a flash drive I carry with me in case I should ever need it.  One way in which it's been a lifesaver is that I work in a college library, where, of course, all the computers are all running Windows.  However, every once in a while, a student will come to me saying that the computer he or she is sitting at won't recognize or assign a drive letter to his or her flash drive.  I then take it to my computer at my desk (I work the reference desk), and if that doesn't work either, I then bypass Windows 7 by booting to my LXLE flash drive, plug in the student's USB to another USB jack, and then copy it from there to my other flash drive on which I keep other stuff, and then boot back into Windows, re-insesrt my data drive, and print out that student's paper.   Unfortunately, at work, our network is set up to where you HAVE to be logged in to Windows to use the printers, which I think sucks.  But hey, at least I can use Linux at work from a flash drive to help out digitally-stranded students, which gives me a sense of satisfaction.