Who We Are and Who are you? =D
  • NewToLxleNewToLxle
    PMPosts: 35
    I'm really new to the Linux world.  I've been doing Linux testings on my two computers for a year now.  Experienced a lot of ups and downs.  Still actively trying to find solutions to the downs.  An Arch guy from the Linux Distro Community suggested I give this Distro a shot.  So far I like it.  I took the live DVD into a computer shop to do a Linux compatibility test on a wifi usb adapter.  The man at the shop was impressed with the way LXLE looked and the features it came with.  That day He made the decision to get into Linux.  Recently I installed LXLE to my Vista Machine, making it into a dual boot system.  This shall be the test that decides if LXLE is right for my Machine or not.  If I can get LXLE to perform as well or better then Vista, I will remove Vista.  Which of course is what nudged me to join this forum.  
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    >>> If I can get LXLE to perform as well or better then Vista, I will remove Vista.<<<

The Live version runs better than Vista ~ welcome to LXLE!
  • slatsslats
    PMPosts: 5
    Hi
    Just wanting something fast for my netbook.

Hopefully this distro can be configured so it runs well.

i'm surely having some troubles at the moment with display and functions, but hopefully they can be ironed out and then I can have a nice stable browsing experience on the netbook.

Cheers, Slats
  • I have been using Linux for many years. Started with Mandrake back in 199 ?, and dual booted it with Windows on my office machine.

Since retiring in 2000 I have been using it solely and no longer use Windows. Like many users I am a compulsive distro tryer and have tried many many distros. Having an older machine Dell Dimension C521 with only 1gb ram I should really only use distros with less demand, but I have repeatedly tried various KDE distros, but never with much success. For a long time I used various versions of Mint but all of them locked up at various times. Recently I discovered LXLE and am very pleased with it. Works well on my machine,and I like being able to switch paradigms. Am currently, at this moment trying a live version of 14.04, but cannot see much difference to 12.04.

At present I dual boot with Voyager, which uses Ubuntu 14.04 as a base and an XFCE based interfaceI. I  also like this distro very much, and will probably continue using these two.

I've tried Manjaro XFCE  but had problems and it does not seem as flexible as a Ubuntu based distro.

So keep up the good work.
  • jetman3jetman3
    PMPosts: 2
    Hi from NY of C.  Have been a long-time user of the Bird, mostly as an appliance/live media repair platform, since roughly 2002.  Personally, my current pref is PCLInuxOS/LXDE.

Now there's LXLE.  I went looking for a lightweight Linux, as I'm doing some volunteer work in a youth center and [of course] they have several old clunkers (Dell Dimension 2400s), that don't even run XP well.  They have P4s w/ 512MB, so LXLE will probably be a good fit, but I haven't been able to get it !  I've been waiting on the magnet link for the 32-bit 14.0.4 ISO since 12-Jun.  Not a single byte, zero seeders/leechers.  Hopefully, I'll have better luck w/ the 32-bit Revisited.  Just started that d/l this morn.  Later...
  • kendo1kendo1
    PMPosts: 1
    Hello Everyone,
    Over the years I have tried the many variants of Linux and keep returning to the Debian based OS. Ubuntu was my fix for a while then I went back to Debian 6. I am not into fancy desktops and apps. I just want an OS that works correctly first. Let me choose the wow factor and install it later. LXLE seems to combine a bit of both and has a good selection of software in the install DVD. I am liking this version better than others so far.
    With installations I am familiar using Synaptic or Software Manager and Terminal. However when looking for Linux Help on Terminal software installations the writer seem to assume the user is competent in Terminal and understands how the whole Linux system works. (After many years of trying I am still finding I am making mistakes!)Then writes the installation methods in some shorthand way and misses key steps to guide the newbie correctly. I am hoping that those who are much more experienced than me can produce a page or two to make the installation processes easier to follow.
    I have a friend who is a Superintendent of a Mining operation in PNG and originally comes from Bougainville(PNG) where his community has very little Technology access. He is trying to improve this for his community. Often he will come to me with his communities' laptops or old boxes with Windows on them that they have corrupted for various reasons. The main one is lack of knowledge. Over the last 5 years I have been slowly converting them to Linux. Mainly Ubuntu and now it appears it will be LXLE. I have tested this Desktop on other units and so far it appears to be the answer, especially with the preinstalled software and repositories.
    Communication technology is behind in that area and I have yet to locally determine any issues however my friend who is a newbie is learning quickly and is able to connect with my assistance. He sees the merit in having a safe and stable Linux OS over the virus ridden and unstable MS OS. More and more of his friends are asking about Linux and I advise them in the strongest terms to pursue Linux as their OS of choice.
    I get asked if they can buy it preinstalled on a computer and that is where in depth explanations begin. It is a pity it is not so readily available. That leads me to assist them in buying a new laptop and installing Linux either wholly or side by side with Windows depending on the individuals requirements. Thanks gParted!! for an excellent partitioning tool.
    Basically the easiest Linux OS I have found to work with and transition MS users over to is the Debian based such as Ubuntu and now this LXLE I believe will be the one to help his community.
    If there are any readers of this who think they may be able to assist him and his community with advancing Linux in PNG, especially throughout their schools please let me know. I am about to restore 5 computers with Linux LXLE that his company has provided free to his community as an Educational improvement.

As mentioned earlier communications is an issue. One I am having is 4G. LXLE easily connects 3G and LAN. No dramas. The Telstra 4G device is seen with signal strength etc shown but when I try to connect it indicates it is connecting then suddenly disconnects and says disconnected. I have tried to install through terminal as root for make but it shows errors 1 and 2 and a range of other issues. Any readers of this who might be familiar with this problem you assistance would be appreciated. It would be good to learn how to resolve this issue.
    I have moved well away from MSoft and use Linux and try and keep learning about it and promote it as I see it more present in the future. Thanks for putting out another great Linux Distro. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated. Well done.
    Regards,
    kendo1
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Thanks, not sure how to trouble shoot your telstra 4g without having one myself.

Doing a search on http://uduck.org might help.
  • Hi, I am from India. I am using Linux for last 7-8 years, mainly *buntus and finally LXLE 12.4.4.
    It's just wonderful..........thanks a lot for that.

Very recently i have bought a  "HUAWEI E8221" 3g usb modem with built in wi-fi hardware,  it's not working with LXLE. 

As i have triple-booting, if i connect it on windows 7 first and then reboot to LXLE, it's connecting as usb ethernet (usb0). I think it's power-switching problem (rfkill?).  Same problem occurs on "android" too (android is also based on linux kernel). Do you have a solution ?

NB: Problem solved with hilink linux driver installer script.
    Please click on "Mark as Solved" if your original question / problem got solved. This will help others.

'Lazy people will always find a short-cut for a difficult task"
  • fishmanfishman
    PMPosts: 1
    Howdy Yall! I am FishmanLovesLinux. I have a YouTube Channel and provide Linux content to the masses.
  • WTdDallasWTdDallas
    PMPosts: 11
    BEST DISTRO EVER. At least vista and before pc's.

Quick background on me, Linux hobbyist, burned out programmer, Novell guy
    that, 10 years ago got sick for a year, lost my company, and now work
    as the on-site guy for a national Geek company. not "squad"

I get customer getting systems upgrades or Dead HDD’s, that they want
    me to haul off their old equipment.
    So I Referb the units and install LXLE 12.04 then give them to charity.