• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    there is no text mode at install
  • Sorry, you're right no txt mode with lxle, been trying to install a few different distros and was thinking of another:). LXLE did start to install but i gave up after 4 or 5 hours thinking that because the md5sum didn't match it wasn't going to install properly?
  • The V2000 is being permanently retired, so that's a moot point, but now I have another problematic machine.

My church choir is using an older Intel Mac (the one that looks like a flat-panel monitor).  They asked me to convert it to Linux, because OSX no longer supports the hardware.  LXLE installed and worked like a charm (unlike several other distros that will not be named) -- at least, initially.  The one fly in the ointment is the wifi card...it's a Broadcom 4319 (coincidentally the same as on the former Compaq), which requires a proprietary driver.  When I first did the install, I was able to run the "proprietary driver" item in the menu, get the machine online, and proceed from there, downloading updates as it went.  BUT, I made the mistake of going ahead with the offered "distribution upgrade", which promptly broke the proprietary driver (in addition to converting the system to straight-up Lubuntu with lxle's aesthetic touches largely intact).  When I first did the upgrade, I was able to reload the driver, but now, it seems to have vanished, no longer available, even when I move the machine to a wired connection and try to download it.  LXLE-specific repos were removed, I suspect.  SO, I tried to revert it back to the original configuration with my install media, the very same dvd that worked before (recently burned, so probably 12.04.4 or better), and has been well-cared for, no scratches.  Guess what?  THE DRIVER REFUSES TO INSTALL, from either the DVD or the wired connection!

I have a copy of the generated /var/log/jockey.log, but the forum won't let me post it (too long!)

What am I missing here?  Revised pgp keys for the repos?  The repos themselves?
  • lxlelxle
    i don't believe the older intel mac is 32bit only i'd imagine its a 64bit processor which then would allow you to install lxle 14.04.1
  • Color me surprised...I looked it up and sure enough it is x64!  The real limiting factor (that keeps me in a lightweight desktop like XFCE or LXDE) is the RAM...half a gig, with a few meg peeled off by the video card!  OK, I'll give it a try...
  • Hi,
    I'm trying to install LXLE on an old PC (OS: Lubuntu) but it does not boot from USB (used UUI and chose LXLE desktop from the list). I've tried both 12.14.04 and 12.04.5 (32bit). What can be the problem here? (the iso files are not damaged).

edit.: mistake, typed LXDE desktop instead of LXLE desktop
  • lxlelxle
    "lxde" is not the "lxle"

Also your better off downloading lxle from here than using a tool like startupdiskcreator, unetbootin or UUI and selecting the lxle iso that you downloaded.
    Thanked by 1zephyrir
  • I downloaded the iso files from here. How should I create the USB installer then? 
  • lxlelxle
    You can use the same tool, just skip step one and use the step two "browse" to locate your downloaded iso.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/wp-content/uploads/Universal-USB-Installer.png
    Thanked by 1zephyrir
  • One more thing, which version do you recommend 12.04.04 or 05?