• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Change the boot order in you bios, be sure to select and or make it boot from the harddrive first.
    Thanked by 1Mister_NO
  • Yes! That solved the intel boot agent thing, thanks. 
    The selection screen still appears though, also any workaround for the other two issues?
  • lxlelxle
    open terminal enter

sudo apt-get --reinstall install b43-fwcutter firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer

will probably solve your wireless issue.

And power management is handled automatically by TLP, there is nothing to configure.
  • Unfortunately not:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree      
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      gir1.2-json-1.0 gir1.2-timezonemap-1.0 libtimezonemap1 gir1.2-xkl-1.0
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 3 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 87 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/25.4 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    (Reading database ... 112184 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace b43-fwcutter 1:015-9 (using .../b43-fwcutter_1%3a015-9_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement b43-fwcutter ...
    Preparing to replace firmware-b43-installer 1:015-9 (using .../firmware-b43-installer_1%3a015-9_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement firmware-b43-installer ...
    Preparing to replace firmware-b43legacy-installer 1:015-9 (using .../firmware-b43legacy-installer_1%3a015-9_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement firmware-b43legacy-installer ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up b43-fwcutter (1:015-9) ...
    Setting up firmware-b43-installer (1:015-9) ...
    No chroot environment found. Starting normal installation
    Setting up firmware-b43legacy-installer (1:015-9) ...
    No chroot environment found. Starting normal installation
    No supported card found.
    Use b43 firmware. This is just for the b43legacy driver.
    Aborting.

• lxlelxle
    restart
    Thanked by 1Mister_NO
  • thank you so much!
  • Hi Will,I use Unetbootin to create my Live USBs,the files are already downloaded onto my computer,if as you say that the MD5 is correct then it is the computer which has the problem in my opinion,I have had the same boot screens you describe so what I do is a hard shutdown, (hold off button until puter shuts down) I then change the USB stick to another usb port on the machine, I use F12 for boot sequence, when the first blue screen comes up,I toggle down to "start the installer" or "live installer" or whatever you see on your screen, as most times,I have found the "default" will not boot the machine, (these are old machines I must say though)There are of course some Distros that will not boot a particular machine as well but I have found LXLE to be the most adequate for the old machines that I work on, I have noticed also that Linux will not let a machine get as hot as a Windows Box either and will shut it down quite unceremoniously too, lol "Black Screen of death" :)
  • Hi not sure if i should start a new thread for this or if here is ok? I've used linux on my computers for around 7 years now and am often recommending it to friends, hence was asked recently if i could install a linux OS on an old Dell Inspiron 1300, Intel Celeron m380 1.60 GHz processor, 500mb ram and 80gb storage. I searched for something suitable and hit on LXLE 12.04.5 revisited as something that might work. Downloaded torrent from lxle.net and burned to DVD with k3b. md5sum for download did not match with DVD but tried live cd anyhow it took an awful long time to boot & was extremely slow to respond. My question is, is it worth trying another download or is this laptop (I notice minimum recommended ram is 512mb) just too old & under equiped to run LXLE? thanks for help
  • lxlelxle
    live cd/dvd will always take a long time to boot opposed to an actual install. 12.4.5 should run just fine once installed the the actual hard drive even with the limited specs.
  • thanks lxle, sorry only seeing this now, was thinking would get e mail if there'd been a reply...... tried to install but couldn't get visuals had to select boot in text mode at install and then everything was incredibly slow so gave up. Will try again:) how important is md5sum? not sure if i've bad burn or bad download, thanks again