• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Burn to DVD or use a USB drive with

GdiskDump, DD, PenDriveLinux or Startup Disk Creator.

Boot & Install.

No DVD? Can't boot from USB? 

Click here to use PLoP.

Need to reinstall or install new version? 

Click here for an Easy Guide.

Minimum requirements:

512mb of ram and at least a P3 or better processor.

Recommended:

1gb or higher and a P4 3.0Ghz or higher

Install Guide

http://landoflinux.com/linux_install_lxle_1404.html

Thanked by 1faiz
  • faizfaiz
    PMPosts: 37
    I used Unetbootin and it works magnificently with almost every linux distro. Moreover, it can be found in the repo of your existing Linux distro.

Yumi is what I used to use previously which is not bad either.

Another things which I would like to share here is how I used Pen Drive to boot into a PC which doesn’t have Pen Drive support in the BIOS. It was Asus P5 series I think.

1. Plug in the pen drive and boot into BIOS.
    2. Went to HDD selection and select the Pen/Removable Drive  
    3. In the BIOS preference, set HDD as first option.
    4. Press F10 and PC will boot using the pen drive.
    5. Boot into Live system, when booting, Linux will detect your actual HDD and you can easily partition and install and enjoy. 
  • JoeJoe
    PMPosts: 1
    Hi,

I tried both, Unetbootin and Yumi. None of them include LXLE as an option.
    For some reason choosing Lubuntu 12.04 from the dropdown does boot but does not load the OS...

Any advice? Thx,

Joe
    Thanked by 1Ed62
  • lxlelxle
    You can use unetbootin with lxle, but you will have to download the iso first, its not available as a dropdown menu option. A little more than half way down on the Unetbootin screen is the option select your own iso. Use this option to select your downloaded lxle iso and continue as usual. :)
  • Hi, I'm a total newbie attempting my first install. 

Computer is a ~2002 Gateway tower, with Pentium 4 and 1 GB 2.65 MHz RAM, running XP SP3.  I created the boot USB using LiLi and lxle-12.04.3-32.iso (downloaded from link on LXLE.net; verified download with the MD5 checksum). The BIOS has Boot from USB enabled.  First Boot Device is CD-ROM (actually a pair of DVD drives), second is Removable Dev., then Hard Drive and finally "IBA 4.1.08 Slot 0240".  First Removable Device is the floppy drive (yes it's that old), second is "SanDisk" (the SanDisk thumb drive was plugged in when I checked this).  So as far as I can tell it SHOULD boot from the USB. 

When I start it up with the thumb drive plugged in (front or back port) it never boots; I just get a flashing underscore near the top left corner of an otherwise black screen.  The light on the thumb drive strobes like something is happening, but I let it go for half an hour and nothing ever did.  I re-ran the LiLi process and no change.

Any suggestions what I can try next?
  • lxlelxle
    Use pendrive linux and make sure you have the right version. Although a 32bit version will work on any machine, a 64bit will not run on a 32 bit machine.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

if its a 64bit machine then use the 64bit version
  • Thanks lxle.  To answer your second point first, I did use the 32-bit version (version number in my post above ends in -32).  On your second point:  When I open pendrivelinux there's a big Download button but it's for a pdf converter.  I did find the Universal USB Installer - is that what I'm supposed to use?  The reason I ask is, its list of distros does not include LXLE.  Further down on the pendrive page is a dropdown with various installers; that's how I got to LiLi.  So I guess I don't understand how to use pendrivelinux to create a LXLE thumb drive. 
  • lxlelxle
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Instead of selecting you distribution from the drop down menu, just click browse and find the lxle iso you download onto your computer.
  • Would be nice to see a specific DD command line instruction also ;) So everyone can get up and running without the hassel of figuring it out. Not everybody is acustomed to the command line.
  • lxlelxle
    Live USB Creation via Terminal and DD command.

Download the LXLE iso to your desktop and put blank usb drive in usb port 

if 32 bit enter the command below in the terminal 

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/lxle-12.04.3-32.iso of=/dev/sdx oflag=direct  bs=1048576 

if 64bit enter the command below in the terminal

sudo dd if=~/Desktop/lxle-12.04.3-64.iso of=/dev/sdx oflag=direct  bs=1048576
  • OK, so in UUI (pendrivelinux) I scrolled to the bottom of the distro list and selected "Try Unlisted Linux ISO", then the LXLE iso I had previously downloaded and checked.  Created the USB, safely ejected, plugged back in, shut down, plugged into a rear panel USB port, restarted.  Same thing as before: black screen with flashing underscore in top left, thumb drive flashing, no boot.

I also found the following bit of advice at http://sourceforge.net/p/lxle/discussion/generallxle/thread/c96a03ba/; it didn't work either:

a) UUI does not list LXLE as one of the supported ISO's... LXLE is really a modified Lubuntu 12.04 spin. So after downloading LXLE, simply rename the file to "lubuntu-12.04-desktop-LXLE.iso".
    b) Open UUI and select "lubuntu 12.04 desktop" from the drop down
    c) browse to the location of the renamed LXLE file and then select target drive

Just for giggles I fired up my Win7 box with the thumb drive in a USB2 port, launched the Boot menu on startup and selected USB: HDD to boot first.  It worked! 

SO the USB drive is being created properly, but my XP machine can't boot from it.  Either there is something wrong with the way I'm trying to boot, or I need to try another approach.  Thoughts?