• Had installed lxle64rc, anything I should do with the final version? Or it is ok like it is? For me it's ok, works fine, but is there anything deep underwater that I should pay attention to? Any change in repos or different configuration etc?
  • I have 3 IBM T22 laptops here I would like to install this on all 3 of them...  the t22's are all p3 900mhz with 512meg ram which is max on the ram... I get the same installer crashed error message... It happens on the screen after it states i need 6.4 gig drive space, power cord, and internet connected.... i check the download updates, and third party programs, then click next, and BOOM there she blows.... I have tried two versions now the latest version and the previous version... both were i believe 12.04.3 and 12.04.4... you can not usb boot on a t22 it is impossible.... well not impossible but i would have to format a hard drive and install dos or windows 95 on it first then use like a plop boot manager....
    I would prefer booting from a cd or dvd like it was designed to do....
  • Hello Forum

Has anyone installed LXLE 12.04.4 32bit onto an Asus EEE PC 900 with 4GB soldered on SSD and 16GB msata SSD and 512MB DDR2 Ram?

http://www.asus.com/Eee_Family/Eee_PC_900A/#specifications

I'm really curious. And want to help out a person. One human less using Windows ;)

But I'm worried that LXLE 12.04.4 wants 6.1GB space for installing.
    Since the faster 4GB SSD would be nice to use as the /root partition. Does the 6.1 gigs need to be on this one. or are some things pushed into the /home partition?

Or if this is not possible. How would I go about installing LXLE with minimal programs on it?

Any ideas how to partition this thing?
    Also wondering if there is some tips for making it work fully with media keys and so on.
    Does the Atheros Wifi module work out of the box?

Uber-Thank you
    Vaikus84
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Not much real estate there.

The minimum size for the /root partition is 8gb ~ I've run out of room at 15 and always make mine 25-30gb.

You could locate the /swap area there ~ you'll prolly need that a lot with only 512mb ram.  But even so, LXLE has a ton of programs and you'd run out of room after the 1st update even if you could get it installed.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DiskSpace

But really, you need the right distro for the right pc and even though LXLE is based on Lubuntu, the lightest of the 'buntus ~ imo, it isn't the right one for this older netbook.

I recalled EasyPeasy ~ the netbook distro of a few years back and did some digging around on this topic ~ I did find Eeebuntu, which was designed to be run on these minimal netbooks.  While not the latest and greatest, and there's no updates forthcoming, it's still available for download and would make the tiny rig usable.

http://www.auroraos.org/release/eeebuntu

Good luck on this project and please, let us know how you make out.
  • vaikus84vaikus84
    PMPosts: 65
    Found something like this. Going to look at it.
    Testing Linux Mint 13 Xfce first. To see, if it gets installed or not.

http://gobitech.blogspot.com/2011/06/install-ubuntu-1104-on-asus-eee-pc-701.html

For Ubuntu 12.04, the file is now /usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/misc.py, line 796.

Instead of gedit use what ever text editor you can deal with!

sudo su
    gedit /usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/misc.py

set line 796 from 2 to 1.2

Save!
    Exit from terminal!
    Now your install size should be smaller!

Let me know if someone is able to replicate this in LXLE!
  • Yes. It shows 3.6 GB now instead of the 6.1 something!
    Going to let you know guys how this works out!
  • When setting Linux Mint Maya 13 x86 Fudge factor from 2 to 1.2. The requirements drop from 5.2 to 3.1 GB.
  • LeksaLeksa
    PMPosts: 1
    In the Universal USB Installer 1.9.5.2 Setup (UUI) there is the LXLE Desktop listed. If the USB live doesn't work, so you can try to install as "full install" to USB drive using normal installation proses, but selecting USB as target partition.  You have to use the " something else" alternative to make the selections to install. LXLE takes ca. 4 Gb space from USB in full installation, so little bigger drive is needed. If full install is used so it is working only in that computer witch was used to make the installation due to it makes the hardware adaptation durin installation to the os. A USB live installation can be used as mobile os. also in other computers.
  • TonyBTonyB
    PMPosts: 6
    Referring to the post concerning Asus EEE PC 900, I have installed and am using LXLE on mine.  Mine was windows with 4GB and an 8GB SSD plus I added a 16GB SD card in the SD slot (only a class 6 - class 10 would probably be better).

Partition as follows:

4GB SSD - 264mb for boot and the rest for /  (at present boot is using 76.09 mb and / is using 1.59 GB)
    8GB SSD - 1GB for /tmp  and the rest for /usr (/tmp is using 49.7mb and /usr is using 3.57GB)
    16GB SD card - 1.5GB for /swap and the rest for /home

Added the swap as there were random crashes with only 512mb ram and the SD card is easiest and cheapest to replace if it gets "worn out".

Have now upgraded memory to 2GB and its a lot more stable (pretty cheap on Ebay!).

Wireless card was detected and works fine.

I now use this EEEPC daily and much prefer it to the tablet I was using.

Totem Movie Player stuttered a bit but I've found it does on more powerful machines too so I have installed VLC and I have also installed Midori Web browser (Firefox does work OK but I find Midori a bit quicker).  I've also installed Thunderbird for Email as I really don't like Claws.

It also runs XBMC as a frontend for my MythTV.
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    I have a Asus EEE PC 900 but mine has the 16Gig ssd and a 1 gig ram. I have that thing on 24/7 with Pandora running non stop and that thing has been on for more than a year now Or as long as LXLE has been around and it always works.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit