• Update:  I burned a DVD on my Win7 machine and it boots on the XP, so that's progress.  It doesn't seem to play nicely with my video card (INVIDEA GeForce4 Ti 4200) though - the wallpaper never loaded (just a dark blue screen with the lubuntu-lxle logo in the middle) and there was a lot of color noise around the system status widget in the top right.  The backup-your-files reminder box refused to close, as did the weather widget and the Monitor Preferences window.  After that I couldn't open anything else, but it did respond to a logout click.
  • Update 2:  Third approach was the charm - Plop is working for me.  I will want to set up a dual boot, but not until I learn a lot more about linux; particularly how disk space is allocated.  Any recommended tutorials?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    The installer will do a dual boot automatically, you will have to install windows first, then lxle. The installer will ask you if you want to install it along side of windows, you pick that option then continue the install.
  • Thanks. I have XP on one drive and data backups on a second internal drive. Can the installer smoothly put LXLE on the 2nd drive?
  • lxlelxle
    Yes, there will be a drop down menu asking you what location (hard drive) it should install to.
  • Hi, I have been thoroughly foiled trying to install LXLE to an older (or maybe just plain "old" by current definition?) laptop.  The machine in question is a Compaq V2000, 1.8GHz AMD Sempron CPU (single core, if you hadn't guessed), 512MB RAM, mfg'd ca. 2001.  I've been running Linux of one sort or another on it since 2005, it's sentiment (and the challenge) of keeping it going that brings me here.  KDE3 was the real sweet spot, fully featured without overloading the hardware, KDE4 is increasingly too heavy.  Distros now seem to target early adopters with top-of-the-line machines.  I've avoided most LDXE/XFCE distros as being still stuck in the Win2k "look"; I prefer a WinXP/7 look, so LXLE seems to fit what I need now.  I've done the basics, checked the md5sum of the ISO (32-bit, obviously), verified the k3b burn.  The livecd boots, I can establish wifi connection, but the installer crashes shortly after continuing from the second dialog page (hard drive space OK, connected to power supply, connected to internet).  The integrated bug reporting mechanism doesn't launch, and I'm not sure how to start it manually.  Best I can do is a screencap of the error message -- which by the way took several tries to export.  The format of the file name created by default "Screen Capture on 0-0-0000 at 00:00:00.png" seems to be regarded as invalid for saving to anything other than the live session's ephemeral desktop!  Once I discovered that (and not had simple file creation fail) I renamed the pic file and copied it to pendrive.  If there is other info needed, I'll get it for you.
  • lxlelxle
    live dvd or live usb? If dvd, might be a bad burn, or dirty. If usb what did you use to make it? Unetbootin is an inconsistent tool I have found. Works for some and not for others.

• I'll repeat: DVD, verified at every step. *.iso with md5sum, dvd was burned on my PCLOS desktop using k3b with verification selected, the disk passed, and practically went straight from the drive I burned it on to the machine to be installed. The disk was clean, I double checked that too. I could get you a more complete bug report if I knew how to activate the reporting mechanism.
  • lxlelxle
    Try the beta instead and let me know if its the same error. Also if both have the same error attempt using a usb stick to install. I need to be able to isolate the problem and those steps would help a lot.
  • @Xheralt: I had something similar happen when I tried to put LXLE 12.10 onto a similar vintage Compaq nx9010.

See thread # 210151 on Ubuntu forums (or search for posts on nx9010 / author charlie99 ) for details.

I have not tried a permanent install of LXLE 12.04.03 on the same machine, BUT it boots the LiveCD fine.