Upcoming LXLE version brainstorming
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    People get confused all the time by what lightweight means. Lightweight has nothing to do with the file size of the ISO. Lightweight refers to the system resources needed to operate the system. The less system resources needed to operate, the 'lighter' the system. ISO file size is simply the size of the software including the operating system bundled together, it has little to no bearing on how 'lightweight' the system is or runs.
  • rocksrocks
    PMPosts: 3
    Thank you for the distro and the above explanation! I do like LXE a whole lot! I plan to have it on USB for use at public internet cafes in Asia, whose PCs are usually pretty marginal, and often unsecure. I expect it'll work well with no hardware issues.

Having Games and Wallpapers as optional packages would save on those of us non-urban Linuxers with limited Broadbands (ie.10gb /mon).

Thanked by 2lxle [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    PMPosts: 0
    My passion right now is to run a secure box, with as much encryption as possible.  I don't know what that means, to be honest, but would love to see that emphasis, in the docs, in the Forum tutorials, etc. 

I would love to see the update reminder to look much different, with a strong message:  User, please go to Synaptic and do your updates now.  Or just something that blinks in a menu bar, waiting to be opened if updates haven't been done in a reasonable period of time.  With a message for noobs about what it is about, and why they should do it. 

I've never been impressed with THunderbird, on any computer I've ever operated.  Its always slow.  I hate slow.

Please do not disappear my favorite games!  I love them.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • AxelHAxelH
    PMPosts: 11
    Dear all,

I agree with most of you - there is nothing that *must* be added, that *must* be removed or even *changed*.

I will make some notes while working with LXLE... maybe I find something.

I would like to see more security tools and security/privacy enabled (i.e. in Firefox).

I can live without the games... though the kids found some nice ones. But they *have* to live without them ;-)

Regarding "less important" tools - I am glad that I found Liferea and Linphone and tried them - now I use them daily...

And once again. Thanks for developing and maintaining the distro.
  • preistpreist
    PMPosts: 11
    A custom icon set and whole theme exclusive to LXLE would be awesome.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @priest, if you have someone you know. Who can help with that. That would be progressive.
    Other than that. More work goes under the hood right now.
  • Update reminder

Sure - an important item. But it annoys the "common" users. My wife - as "unfriendly alpha user" - is confused by "weird" messages.

Is there a way, to make the update reminder (and similar items) only available for the admin user? The desktop users do not need to take care.
  • kc1dikc1di
    PMPosts: 9
    Xfburn would be a better choice than Brasero  it's lightweight and works better for me. 
    I always end up installing it any way.  Brasero has been troublesome here. 

I also find simple-scan better than xsane  Just personal choice. 
    Also I prefer VLC over Totem , again just personal choice. 

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Using VLC will bring in extra libraries, basically doubles the media support libraries, since pulseaudio and gstreamer are used by default in LXLE and a number or programs already rely on gstreamer codecs, so VLC would just be adding extra weight for the same capability.

Xfburn doesn't consistently blank/recognize dvd/cd as well as brasero seems to, at least in my testing, and its user interface is a bit more understandable for the average Joe. If brasero or xfburn was running all the time in the background then i would be more concerned over its memory usage, but because its only used here and there and when it is used its usually for short intervals then memory plays a small role in whether it should be included or not.

Simple scan is already installed by default not xsane.

• kc1dikc1di
    PMPosts: 9
    Thanks lxle for the response and the reasoning behind the choices being made.  Believe that LXLE is one of the best Distro's I've used in recent years and look forward to the finished product on the next release. 
    Cheers!
    Dave