Upcoming LXLE version brainstorming
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Brainstorming for LXLE 14.04 release.

1. No splash screen or text logo only to ensure uniform user experience across all aging hardware.
    2. Removal of unnecessary artwork.
    3. Possible slimming down of games for sake of iso size.
    4. Addition of screen/webcam capture application.

Add your ideas below.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • preistpreist
    PMPosts: 11
    I have to say i love this distro and now have it installed on both my laptops i would like to see

1.A better update notification (i find it can become quite annoying when the update manager keeps popping up)

2.A Privacy and security section in the menu with GUFW Truecrypt, cryptkeeper and Bleachbit as standard.

3.a more streamline selection of software less games and start with a more functional selection of software ie firefox, thunderbird, full Libre office maybe rhytmbox or banshee etc people will always add and remove some.

4.Make the menu a little more attractive maybe a little transparent and ex window user friendly i think some one already posted this on the forum some where how to change the menu look.

Ofcourse these are only my opinions and suggestions but i hope the makers of lxle take these things on board many thanks for a great distro.
  • WildbillWildbill
    PMPosts: 17
    1. I agree about the update notification,  I also find it annoying to have the update manager popping up, especially when I'm writing a document it breaks by line of thought.  In stead of running the update notifier what about if you script runs the notifier and if the notifier returns a positive then pop up an icon like normal? If negative then close the notifier.

2. Add X-Tile

3. I also think if the menu was a bit better looking. One of the advantage's to use LXLE is the elegance of the art work and how the desktop looks.  The menu could use a face lift.

4. I wouldn't mind some apps to modify PDF's. on the standard install.

Thanks to all those who work on this Distro and make it such a really good looking, usable distro.
  • vaikus84vaikus84
    PMPosts: 65
    1. You can also make an icon for notifications like Mint or Manjaro has. This way the icon just changes when updates are available. And you can choose to update or not.

2. Agree on the games part. It's fun to have them. But it would be better to have a consistent set of games that most new people would use. Examples: AisleRiot Solitaire, DreamChess, FreeCell Solitaire, Frozen-Bubble, Gweled, Hearts, Mahjongg, Sudoku, Mines ( and maybe an icon for Steam, since the repo seems to be present - you could still play older FPS, Rally and Strategy games on older hardware ).

3. Agree on the security part with user "preist"

4. For artwork I would make a poll for every Distro that is released or when people seem to not mind then it should be done once a year. Or another way is to give like 10 wallpapers and then instructions how to get more awesome ones.

5. Adding a screen capture / webcam program would make it easier for reviewers to do their job (Y)
       And it should be tested with virtualbox. So that a suitable candidate is chosen.

6. I would really like to see an attempt to make a PDF or a HTML of some sort that is integrated into the system in a way that the user sees it right away. That's a good idea in my opinion, so that new users get acquainted with the system more easily and don't run away when problems occur.
  • lxlelxle
    The update reminder is a script, the times can be adjusted when its launched, adding anything that periodically checks and opens when there are updates available will need a daemon running in the background at all times, currently the notifiers that do this use on average between 15-25 megs of ram, which is the reason why I went with an update reminder, instead of the update-notifier.
  • preistpreist
    Also regarding the splash at boot that says lubuntu lxle i would like to see an lxle only boot screen in the next release start making the distro more its own.
  • lxlelxle
    It's purposely not rebranded since lxle is a respin, I would actually consider debranding before rebranding.
  • hedon_jameshedon_james
    PMPosts: 24
    There isn't anything in LXLE that MUST be changed, IMO.  You seem to have all bases covered for a broad spectrum of users.  So based solely on MY experiences and criteria, I would suggest the following comments/suggestions for consideration:

1.  The ISO is quite "heavy" for a lightweight distribution.  While I recognize you have included many extra apps out of the box for newbies, the older hardware you are targeting MAY not have a DVD reader, which is necessary for the 1.2GB ISO.  Is it possible to produce a slimmer LXLE that will fit on a CD?  Perhaps a "Lightweight LXLE", or L2XLE, ha, ha?  Or just a "minimal install" and a "full install" version.

2.  To accomplish #1, I note several redundancies in available software.  Linux "suffers" from too many choices to accomplish the same thing, which is overwhelming to a newbie (i remember my own paralysis by analysis, "suffered" from too many choices).  For instance: 
    - RoxTerm, LXTerm, Xterm, and UXterm all accomplish the same thing.  How about just RoxTerm?
    - PCManFM and GnomeCommander are both filemanagers.  I doubt newbies would use GnomeCommander, and more experienced users know where to find it.  Stick with PCManFM?
    - remove Simple Image Reducer, as GIMP is fully featured and more well known?
    - perhaps FileZilla, Liferea, Linphone, uGet, Xchat IRC, FBReader, Minitube, Pithos could also be removed in a minimal installation scenario, as newbies could probably do without most/all of these.
    - replace Guayadeque with Exaile, which is also lightweight, but supports iPod sync/management?  I think this would also enable the removal of asunder and perhaps audacity as duplicate functioning programs?
    - replace Brasero with XFburn, which is a lighter weight burner?  although I personally like the disk cover creation capability of Brasero...

3.  Remove some Wallpapers.  I LOVE the wallpapers in LXLE...they are some of the most beautiful and HD I have seen in ANY distro.  But do we really need 40+ wallpapers upon installation?  Perhaps 10 is a more manageable number?  Personally, I prefer the city-scape themes.  Or maybe 2-3 of each category, i.e. "city-scapes", "countryside", "abstract", etc...  with instructions or link to download more?

4.  Some kind of UFW notification upon installation.  I have 10 machines in my house, all on the same network.  1 is Win 7, 1 is WinXP, 5 are Ubuntu 12.04.3, 1 is UbuntuStudio 12.04, 1 is Ubuntu 10.04, and 1 is LXLE!   With the exception of LXLE, ALL can "see" each other on the network.  I tried numerous samba edits/configs without success; i copied/pasted a KNOWN good samba config from another machine.  I finally figured out the firewall was enabled by default.  I turned off the UFW and VOILA...the network was complete.  A simple solution, but it took me 2-3 days of intermittent troubleshooting to identify this simple 5 second solution.  Can there be a script asking the user whether the firewall should be enabled?  Or perhaps a script to ask the user some questions to configure the firewall for LAN connections?  Or perhaps a notification upon installation that "firewall is enabled, to disable, do the following..."  For a single computer, the default config is not an issue and the user may never be aware.  For multiple computers on a LAN, the LXLE default is the complete opposite of Ubuntu/Lubuntu. 

Please let me be clear...the above suggestions are NOT complaints.  I REALLY like LXLE in its current iteration.  But if "improvements" are to be made, these are my OPINIONS of what would constitute "improvements".

I know how to customize a distro to my personal satisfaction, and I have done most of the above steps on my own.  No distro is "perfect", but default LXLE comes the closest to being perfect out-of-the-box.  Good luck on making it better!  Can't wait to see how you'll accomplish that?!
  • preistpreist
    My dream 14.04 would have spaceFM file manager as the default file manager, just as light as pcmanfm but with more features and highly customizable what do you think?.

The automatic updates left the same as lubuntu 14.04 LTS

And the core apps such as
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Clementine music player
    VLC
    Libre office suite
    Bleachbit
    Gimp
    Truecrypt
    Keepass x
    gThumb

• preistpreist
    Regarding the updating in 14.04 you could always get rid of the update manager and altogether and adopt the bodhi linux way of keeping the system fresh as and when the user is ready using the terminal and typeing

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove && sudo apt-get autoclean

That way there will be no update manager using system resources and the user would have to get into a routine of updating every couple of days or weekly.

You could create a script to execute this and put it in the menu maybe? just a thought

• I'm new to Linux and dwnlded a number of distros to try, using my
    in-the-boonies, slow, limited broadband. I must say the linuxtracker.org/ 1.3gb LXLE was
    the largest, especially as being touted as lean! How about keeping the
    wallpapers and games in separate packages?
    I did try a p2p here, but no peers showed up .....