Has LXLE been discontinued?
  • Hello everyone.  Someone gave me a broken Dell Inspiron Mini 1012 (Atom, 2GB ram) which I repaired.  It had come with Win 7 Starter and was upgraded to Pro and it was slow as heck.  I had been trying various distros without much success.  Most of the problem was the newest kernel starting a Dell keyboard backlight service which this laptop doesn't have.  This caused the boot to freeze up when trying to start this service.

Fortunately LXLE was still using the older kernel so after the installation and the first update (which upgraded to the problematic kernel) I was able to disable that service with the systemctl mask command before the reboot so it wouldn't hang up again.

The only other distro which installed without problems and was fast was VectorLinux which is Slackware based.  But I have been spoiled by the Debian packaging system :D

• I read recently that LXDE was going to go away, to be replaced by LXQt.  That was very disappointing news.  Why, oh why, do people insist on messing with something that is already very good?  Well, if it happens, there isn't much that I can do about it.  That would be bad enough, but if LXLE died, that would be terrible.  It is by far the best all-around Linux distro...bar none.   I have tried all the leading distros, and I always come back to LXLE.  If anything, Lubuntu, and all the other "buntus" should go away, and LXLE should stay.

P.S. I also donated recently.