Has LXLE been discontinued?
  • I hear talk about this on facebook, say it ain't true.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    no but the lxde crew and or lubuntu has been actively committing suicide for the past couple years.... i think development for lxde the desktop is essentially dead... also most themes are also broken in 18.04 and since they've been ignoring it's become stale and dated.

In other words the delay is in trying to figure out where to take lxle from here.
  • It is a good system, I hope they make a comeback.
  • NO LXDE is ALIVE but slow ... even the Raspberry PI project is using a LXDE fork as its PIXEL desktop environment.

I feel LXLE must just go ahead and release 18.04 using LXDE

LXQT is now a completely independant project and Lubuntu has announced its departure from Light and also old computers compatible philosophy.
  • PIXEL DE sounds like the best next fit no? Raspberry Pi Desktop on Stretch is ok but you know... Debian stable is slightly more boring at software updates. That and RPD currently are still not x86_64 yet due to dev resource constraints.
  • KlempererKlemperer
    PMPosts: 20
    Well LXLE is still great, and I know some people who switched from Lubuntu as 18.04 became too slow for their older machines (like mine, which is otherwise running perfectly). Lubuntu was always saying and advertising that it was for slow computers that was why it made sense^^.  I am still too much newbie to know more about how LXDE is currently running. Anyway, still many months ahead until 16.04 won't get any more updates, so we got no problem :).
  • A correction; it's not Pixel DE anymore but the full name which is Raspberry Pi Desktop. This being said, now I'm unsure if it's even feasible (yet) to suggest it as a replacement DE but it's still looks like a decent enough fork if team Raspberry plans to open that up long term.

A lot of people myself included have been asking for a buntu based #!/Bunsenlabs for some time now it'd be really awesome if LXLE is headed that way tbh.
    Thanked by 1aky
  • sagsawsagsaw
    PMPosts: 20
    GREAT TO FINALLY HAVE A LXLE 18.04.3 release ... Hopefully by the next point release

you would have finalized the desktop environment to go with.

My choice would be LXDE, Openbox in that order.
  • All I can say is that only two distros are working on my 10 yr. old Gateway desktop: Zorin Lite 15 and LXLE. Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Mint XFCE all made the display go haywire. I'm sure there are a few others that would work, but I'd be hard-pressed to find any that are as attractive and stable as those two.

Personally, I am fine the way it is. I would be concerned that making it any heavier or more "modern" (for example using LXQT) would result in problems on older systems, the very target population LXLE was created for. Just keep it going!

Can I still make a donation?
  • mdiemermdiemer
    PMPosts: 36
    Just donated!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • Hence I suggested Openbox which is pretty light.

Its upto LXLE to take final call.