Only boots up 1 out of ten times.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    PMPosts: 17
    My laptop won’t reliably boot into LXLE. It crashes on bootup 9 out of ten times.

I disabled the splash screen during bootup so I could report to you the text where it crashes. Here is the text:

* Starting configure network device

* Stopping Clean /tmp directory

But sometimes the Clean /tmp directory is absent.

Thanks for your attention. I hope ya can help me.

I wanted to post my lshw, but the forum mechanism then regards my post as too long. Isn't there a way to embed such lengthy texts into forum posts here? It seems that a tech support forum totally needs to accommodate lengthy log files and so on.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    What version of lxle are you using? There hasn't been a 'splash screen' in quite some time now.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    The system summary thing calls it Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS.
  • lxlelxle
    hmm, well before 'diving in' if the system is only booting up 1 out of 10 times that, for the most part it's not being used. Perhaps installing the newest version is the first route to try.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    Right on. I will upgrade the LXLE and report how it goes.

This failure to boot up 9 out of ten times has not prevented me from using this laptop at all. I jest keep it on all the time. I dread when there's a power failure since that means I must spend 20 minutes of boot attempts before LXLE will finally get it right.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite

After
    upgrading to 16.04.2, the laptop crashes at boot up with the
    following lines of text being the last displayed:

First
    boot attempt

[ 24.816022]
    mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

Second
    boot attempt

systemd-update-utmp.service

Third
    and fourth boot attempt

console-setup.service

• lxlelxle
    I didn't suggest, 'upgrading' I suggested, reinstalling. Besides, how did one upgrade if the PC didn't start?
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    I do not understand your question "How did one upgrade if the PC didn't start?"

The PC does start. I never said it was un-startable. I said it took up to 10 boot up attempts to get it to start.

Also, the PC did start from the install CD. I used an install CD to do the upgrade. The PC started from the install CD and I subsequently performed the upgrade by installing the most recent version of LXLE on the PC, telling it to replace the old version.

You suggested I use the most recent version of LXLE. I took this to mean that the version of LXLE I was using was very old and the problem I was having might be solved if I replace the old LXLE with the most recent LXLE. This is precisely what I did. And I referred to this as "upgrading". Perhaps this is the wrong term for it. I don't know. But it can truly be said that I did re-install LXLE. I re-installed it with the latest version. Is this not what you suggested?

Anyway, after re-installing/upgrading, whatever we want to call it. it failed to boot up as described in my previous post to this thread. However, after making that post, I continued trying to boot the laptop. It finally did boot up after about 15 attempts. I happen to be writing this post using the laptop, booted up into the most recent version of LXLE.

OK. But my original problem still stands. Here I have a laptop that works great as long as I don't turn it off - for as soon as I turn it off, I'll have to spend 20 or more minutes trying to boot back in.

This LXLE laptop has always worked. It just had this annoying problem of not reliably booting up. It still has this problem. I'm just finally getting around to asking for a solution.
  • pemartinspemartins
    PMPosts: 91
    Try something, click on this link and choose one rescue disk. Then check that pc for some kind of damage like bad blocks in the hd or bad ram or whatever, those errors can be occurring due to a hardware trouble.
    Check that to see if all clears, if all is ok then it's really something software or firmware related.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    Thanks for the suggestion, pemartins. But before I embark on this sort of hardware diagnostics, I'd like to ask whether the hardware can still be suspect when my laptop is a dual boot computer in which Windows XP boots up flawlessly every time. Is it still possible that the computer has a hardware problem specific to LXLE but that does not affect Windows?
  • pemartinspemartins
    PMPosts: 91
    Yes it is very possible, if the disk has bad blocks somewhere where LXLE is installed it will only affect the information recorded there and not other files or places or partitions. The bad blocks only affect the specific information recorded on those specific blocks. 
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads