Only boots up 1 out of ten times.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    PMPosts: 17
    The LXLE installation passed the integrity check offered in the install CD menu. Is it possible to have bad blocks on the hard drive ind still pass this integrity check?
  • pemartinspemartins
    PMPosts: 91
    In the time between your last two posts you could have mounted a rescue cd iso into an usb pen and checked the entire hd, ram and whatever like... maybe 3 or 4 times! 
    Even if every test from every tool comes out ok you lose nothing because you get to check the health of your machine, something that should be done periodically. 
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    were you sure to 'erase' the old version and install the new version? as something when simply 'replacing and or upgrading' lots of files are left over from the previous install.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    Ok.

I tested the RAM and the hard drive using Hirem's BootCD 15.2. They both pass.

I also re-installed LXLE 16.04.2 again. But this time I erased the LXLE partition and did a "clean" re-install. At least the install wizard lead to to believe I was doing a "clean" install as such. But I checked to see whether my "Home" files had survived the re-install, and found that they had indeed been erased. I take this as evidence that the re-install was indeed "clean."

Unfortunately, the problem persists. For example, after running the Hirem's tests, LXLE crashed on boot-up 7 times before it succeeded in booting up.

So anyway, I sure would like some assistance in diagnosing and fixing this problem. Any ideas?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    If it's crashing randomly in different places starting up, then its a hardware issue. If it's exceedingly hot you might need new thermal paste somewhere.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    Cool.

Whenever it does crash during boot up, it does so consistently, within one text line of "console-setup.service". This would suggest a software issue, then.
  • TrilobiteTrilobite
    Thanks y’all! That fixed it.

I shall now document the fix for the benefit of nubies such as myself:

01. Open the text command window (called the “terminal”) by pushing the Ctrl and
    Alt keys down at the same time.

02. Type the command:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and then press the Enter key.

03. It will then ask for your password.

Type in your password and then press the Enter key.

04. This starts the text editor called “nano” with the special grub configuration
    file loaded.

Find the line of text that says:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”

05. Change that line of text to instead say:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash pcmcia_rsrc.probe_io=0”

thus inserting the pcmcia_rsrc.probe_io=0 part.

06. Press the Ctrl and o (letter “o”) keys at the same time. This saves the change
    you just made.

07. Press the Ctrl and x keys at the same time. This turns off the nano text editor.

08. Now you are back at the text command window.

Type the command:

sudo update-grub

and then press the Enter key.

This will fix it. You can close the text command window.

Thanks again! This thread may now be marked as “SOLVED”!

Thanked by 1lxle
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads