SeaMonkey Tips and Tricks
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    This thread is for posting tips, tricks and help regarding the SeaMonkey Internet Suite.

Example

The 'new tab' button in SeaMonkey is located on the left hand side of the tabs. This was how it was done in early versions of FireFox and Netscape. Most people are accustom to having it on the right of the tabs as per the newer versions of Firefox. It remains on the left in our version so you can easily open a new tab and get to your 'Frequented Websites' list without moving your cursor completely across the screen. 'Frequented Websites' is very important in SeaMonkey due to the lack of a built in speed dial as per FireFox or Chrome. You can always install SpeedDial if you want. Yet if you want to open a new tab from the right, it's pretty easy. Simply right click on any tab or the tab bar and select 'open new tab'.

The tabs are also located beneath the address bar, which again is how it was done in earlier versions of Firefox. To me this makes no difference whether on top or beneath. Personally tabs on top of the address bar simply requires more real estate to be covered going to another tab. In otherwords you have to pass the address bar to get to your tabs. However if you want them back on top, we left that option available to users. Simply go to Tools and addons, select 'User Styles' and enable 'SeaMonkey Tabs on Top'.

Our implementation of SeaMonkey utilizes the 'check compatibility' extension. This allows you to install extensions from the SeaMonkey addon page even if they say they aren't available for this particular version of SeaMonkey. Most times they work just fine. Simply click on 'Add to SeaMonkey' and click 'Install Anyway'. Also be sure to check out the links in the bookmarks for SeaMonkey, particularly the addon converter to use your favorite Firefox extension in SeaMonkey. Most work without issue, however not all.

It's also important to understand the reason behind the change to SeaMonkey which can be read here. Other things to be aware of is 'BlueHell Firewall' which is the blue icon located next to the search bar. This is a lightweight adblocker. If you run across a site where you don't want this enabled. Simply click the icon to disable it.

More will be added to this thread as we get further along with SeaMonkey, addressing issues, etc etc. SeaMonkey takes a little getting used to but once you do it's well worth the adjustment to it considering all it gives in return from memory usage, speed and components such as email.

Please feel free to post your own Tips and Tricks for SeaMonkey.
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    It may just be me, but I had a bear of a time trying to import T'bird settings into the mail feature of SeaMonkey.

The import tool said that it had worked, but didn't.

When setting up manually it all fell apart because Gmail accounts require a 'higher' security level than that which is provided by SeaMonkey. I was able to create the account, but the SSL/TLS login side upset Google no end.

UPDATE:-
    The account I was using to test with is one that I normally only access via browser. IMAP is enabled on that account. However, I was getting bounced off to https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en-GB

If you follow that through you get to a page that allows you to turn on or turn off access for 'Less Secure Apps'. Now, if I use my normal Gmail account that I have accessed for ever via IMAP then it just works. I must admit I have no memory of ever changing any security setting on it in the past so it's a bit of a puzzle.

Using the 'Allow Less Secure' setting - which is just a web page https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps allows the mail client to connect OK on my test account.

The import tool does list 'Settings' for importing T'bird so I guess you would expect that to work. OK it's no big deal to set up account but for a novice it could be confusing???
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • famewolffamewolf
    PMPosts: 62
    Lastpass installs fine in seamonkey but doesn't auto populate saved user/passwords nor give you the option to manually populate them via the plugin.  You can open the lastpass vault and manually cut/paste user and password for a given site but if thats the intention there is really not much need for the extension as you can do that right in the browser on the lastpass website.

Your improvements to the app are most impressive and it's to be expected that some extensions will be quirky.

*update*  Lastpass works fine with the new seamonkey 2.33.  The version it failed on was 2.32.1
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • The email client appears to still have some issues....I added gmail..specified imap, server imap.gmail.com and the username of the account...saved it...went back into the settings...you'll see in the screenshot it considers both the gmail AND the local folders "invalid" and will begin popping up an error message from the failed gmail connect about every 15 seconds...it also won't let you delete the invalid accounts.  About the only way to fix it was to unzip the .zip profile again and overwrite everything. 

http://i.imgur.com/5ezPaYG.png
  • lxlelxle
    OK here is the answer for imap. First you have to get the ports right for imap which is 993.

Then take a look at these.

http://support.google.com/mail/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=78754

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en

• lxlelxle
    I would just go with pop3 but thats me. In either case and with all email account of course port settings are vital.

For gmail specifically either pop or imap all necessary settings can be found here.
  • Thanks for the links.  I'm sure others will also find it useful.  I'll give pop3 a try...the problem is pop3 will want to download all attachments for new mail where I prefer to keep them on the imap server unless needed and some of the attachments are not so small.   I'm just testing the email client out anyway as I usually use gmail via web.
  • lxlelxle
    IMAP is still possible. In the second link provided you'll notice that even outlook doesn't support it nor thunderbird, there is also a link a bit lower down on the page that when you click on it leads to a page that has a simple yes or no selection, basically it just enables the slightly older security settings. Probably not that big of deal but more of a CYA by Google.
  • Well I changed the port but it never asks me for a password so no idea how it expects to work....gives me a similar error about not being able to connect.  Will skip the email client for now.  I use 2 party authentication so I created an "app specific password" for seamonkey email but as I indicated it never asks for it.  Will try some of the other parts...curious to see if the irc client does dcc file transfer...if so it would possibly work as a hexchat replacement.  Lightning calendar looks interesting but perhaps you should consider including the extension that allows it to work with google calendar since I'd assume that's going to be a very popular choice. uBlock installed to seamonkey but I've noticed none of the plugins put the icon in the top of seamonkey like bluhell did.   Anyway hope some of that is useful.

Oh..it appears a majority of your extensions are "incompatible" due to the version # being higher than 2.28....if you use that online converter you mentioned you can set it to mod  seamonkey compatible extensions and only change the max version to 2.*   (or you can unzip, edit the install.rdf then rezip the xpi).  They continue to work since version checking is disabled.  The gtkrunner theme is also incompatible with seamonkey 2.33 but you can just re-enable it after upgrading seamonkey.
  • lxlelxle
    I got gmail working, when I was changing settings I just closed the app completely including the browser and reopened. It asked for a password and started downloading. I left encryption on normal and ssl. I also use the email client daily with my other email account which works without issue. Many extensions may show incompatible but it's not really true, most are false positives which is why the compatibility checker is turned off using the extension. I never needed to re-enabled the gtkrunner extension since it never stopped working. You probably have to go to 'customize' and find extension icons and put them where you want, as I did with bluhell. I tend to steer clear of Google stuff for LXLE so perhaps that will just be a suggestion as an extension.
  • lxlelxle
    Hey famewolf, today on the upgrade to 2.33 I had to do the same thing you did with reenabling the theme which worked as you said, good heads up, at the time of my reply ubunutzilla hadn't put the newer version up yet which is why it was unnecessary.