What paradigm do you use most?
  • I've never used actual Unity, but the Unity layout here is closest to how I like my setup: top panel and a full-length launcher to the side. The main change I made was to delete the side panel's taskbar and replace the desktop switcher at center of top panel with a (icon + label type) taskbar. I'm considering moving the main menu up into the corner (either replacing the desktop switcher or extending the side panel all the way up) but for now I've left it as is -- though I still sometimes click the switcher when I'm going for the menu.

Since everyone's likely to tweak their layouts anyway, it'd be nice to have all the plugins easily available in all the layouts. For example, I've seen a couple questions here about how to enable the "Panel logout" plugin and that's something I wondered myself before choosing the Unity layout made it a moot point.

It might be nice to have a comparison page somewhere listing the details of each layout. The little differences in plugin selection/arrangement made choosing tricky for me.

• I think what I'm starting from is the OSX paradigm, but to be honest, I'm not quite sure, as I immediately leapt into customising it into the closest thing to my standard preferred layout. The defaults are sensible and easy to get your head round, but I've got picky in my old age. ;-) You've got a good selection of additions to the basic panel, and LXDE is surprisingly customisable, for such a light-weight desktop.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    If you never switched the paradigm then you started from xp
  • Thank you - actually, when I logged out I realised it was G2 that I was using, so I should change that. I looked at all of the options, and went with one of the ones that had the main panel at the top, which is my position of choice, then started moving things around.

As I said, I like the idea of a choice of basic layouts - it's a good starting point, and gives some good ideas as to what can be done with the system.
  • PogoPogo
    PMPosts: 9
    Just tonight I read on the lxle web page that I could use any of four paradigms, and I recalled that I heard that in a linux review video, and that was why I had grabbed the iso.

But it wasn't offered when I booted the live USB, and while I had a great time poking around and enjoying the wonderful array of apps in this distro, I wasn't sure that I had found what I wanted to replace my 10.04 NBR.

So tonight I logged out and logged in again after booting, and found the paradigm options and have been having even more fun trying them out.

The OSX and Unity paradigms could just about sway me. I can see how I could adapt them to get similar (though not as beautiful IMO) functionality to the NBR launcher.

The Netbook paradigm is just too sparse for me. If I could change things, the tabs, the (excuse me) horrible background, and the selection of apps, I might even use that.

Thanks for putting it together lxle. I am now torn between this and a Cinnamon DE.

Pogo.
  • This may be slightly off normal topic but say you customize a paradigm to the point it breaks. Is there an easy way short of reinstalling or trying to remember what you did at 3 a.m. when it sounded like such a good idea in your own head after not sleeping for 24 hours? I really like the XP Paradigm but sometimes get carried away with eye-candy and flossy fluffy fuss.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    If its just a panel issue, restoring the panel items may do the trick http://lxle.net/forum/#/discussion/222/customize-an-lxde-desktop-interface-/p1
    Thanked by 1revlchurch
  • NixcatNixcat
    PMPosts: 3
    True to what hedon said, the best of both worlds. i also like the weather apps its simple gui without too much.
    crap,I like the KISS mention that you doing things, keep it that way :)
  • I prefer the Lubuntu paradigm with the bottom taskbar.
  • I'm totally hooked on the Unity interface, even though I strongly dislike the actual unity DE >.<