What paradigm do you use most?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    PMPosts: 0
    @preist  The beauty of Paradigm's various desktops is that one can choose.  If we got rid of the other options, lots of people would complain.  I personally am in love with the G2 environment.  I'm a bit dyslexic, and having top and bottom menus, along with an uncluttered desktop (due to the hiding left panel) really helps me not to become confused and overwhelmed. 

Also, once a person selects the desktop of their choice, I don't think that its a problem, as the login menu remembers that well.   The main point of this survey was to see how different our users are, with preferences.  We have really learned that everybody tweaks their desktops, to personalize them, and that will never change.  LXLE just provides the basic look and feel, to help new users have a starting point from which tweaking commences.  Advanced users, like yourself, know exactly what they want, and how to get it.  Some new users are still learning how to COPY/PASTE, or open a browser for the first time.

This poll was just for information purposes, not meant for changing the concept of Paradigm.  There will never be JUST one desktop choice at the login screen. 
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • hedon_jameshedon_james
    PMPosts: 24
    I'm in agreement with SaintLulu!  Part of the "cool factor" for LXLE (besides its useful versatility AND lightweight performance, which is usually an either/or proposition) is the Paradigm choice of desktop.  I love that there is now a lightweight system with my preferred Unity appearance.  When I'm showing it off to a potential windows migrator, they wrinkle their nose; but I log out, choose the XP Paradigm and they nod in approval.  For those who like Apple and OS X products, but not the price, I can choose the OS X Paradigm and all of a sudden I have their attention.  When I demonstrate that you can change the desktop appearance without losing ANY programs, lookers are typically intrigued.  Change it all you want; or just leave it default to your last selection; neither choice requires any special skills nor effort!  With all due respect to anyone who doesn't like the look of a desktop, I don't get all the desktop appearance bashing.  I didn't like my choices in Windows...I could change colors, schemes, and wallpapers, but that wasn't satisfactory.  Part of the appeal of Linux was the extreme ability to customise just about everything.  Instead of complaining about choices we don't like, why don't we just choose something else?  Linux has something for everyone, but it was never meant to be everything to everyone.  Find what works for you and go with that!
  • CupCakeCupCake
    PMPosts: 5
    I started with XP but I'm leaning toward G2. I love that I can customize this in so many different ways. I think I change something every time I look at at.
    To the world, you may be one person..To one person, you may be the world.
  • pakopakopakopako
    PMPosts: 7
    There's a Gnome interface?!

I jumped around with XP, OS/X and Netbook... but hey, Gnome! I wish I started with that instead of tweaking XP to look like G2.

Actually, a question -- how do I create a shutdown Application button?
  • netipotnetipot
    I have played with them all & tweaked some a little & some more. At first I liked unity and osx. I am used to a top panel. My eye goes up there. Because my screen is old and more square I like a launcher or dock on the bottom, usually hidden. I have ended up with G2 & made the bottom panel a hidden app launcher & moved the open tasks, shortened to icons only, to the top panel so I can always see them. It is the way I have set up lxde for years now but you have inspired me to add some new features. I know that it might have been easier to change osx or unity but I still like trying them out from time to time.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    The traditional anchor of the task bar at the bottom and the menus in the "start" area is familiar.  That said, I like the task bar to be nearly transparent, and the app tabs, as well ~ however, I have yet to find a theme that offers both features, with darker menus and window borders ~ it's tuff to find the "right" mix.  I had high hopes for Openbox's offerings, but that right combo is as elusive here as in the Gnome arena.

The panel is easy enough to adjust...but now, if I could just figure out the conky thing ~ am dying to get some lm-sensors data in there!  (Have always used gkrellm.)  image

Having the left side dock to replace the desktop icons (always the 1s thing I lose on a new install) is great.  It's out of sight and out of the way until needed.

Choice is the great thing about LXLE ~ it can nearly be all things to all people, especially those looking to sit out the 6 month upgrade cycle, give their ageing pc a life or lose Windoze.
  • sprocketsprocket
    PMPosts: 3
    Use the default XP , tried the other ones , but like it better .
  • Gene_JGene_J
    Most of the folks I install for are moving reluctantly from WinXP, so I generally leave it at the default and don't even mention the other options. All it would do is confuse them. They all appear to look nice and work well.
  • XayeshaXayesha
    PMPosts: 31
    I've used LXLE almost exclusively for a month or so now and am very impressed. I like the default XP style because it's so easy to customize. I eliminated the side bar and added my frequently used  apps to the bottom panel (I like a clean easy to use desktop) and this suits my needs perfectly.
    After eliminating the pre-installed games the system boots and connects to my wireless in less than a minute..... it also allows my 1 GB vram 9800M GTS to run Second Life with settings on high at around 47 fps.
    All in all a very good experience.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • joutlanjoutlan
    PMPosts: 13
    I'm finding the OSX most useful....especially the cap lock and numlock "led" on the panel.
    DΞLL Precision M6700: 17 inch NB//i7-quad w/USB 3.0, 16.0GB, Quadro K5000M 2.0GB DDR3, RGBLED //W8P64/Scientific Linux 6.4 x64/LXLE x64
    DΞLL Vostro 3350 Nirvana: 13 inch NB w/ IntelSSD// W8Px64 (Work;Games)
    Nexus 4 //Android