Is it possible to get Compiz or Kwin working in LXLE?
  • mfrazzz

I am going to try an answer your question, but it might seem like a round about way because some information is not available for me to show you.  So here is the story, and why I don't think you haven't reproduce the issue.

When I very first tried to install compton I used the Synaptic Package Manager.  After installing is when it appeared here:

But clicking on compton it only caused my screen to blink on and off (quickly) one time.

I don't know but I'm willing to bet the PPA was there and I didn't know it.  The reason why I think the PPA was there is because the Live 12.04 has it right out of the box! 

The real trouble began when I followed the Blog and tried to install the PPA, and Compton. For some reason that seemed to mess everything up.  After using the Y PPA Manager to remove the PPA everything began to work correctly again.  Then I Followed your advice and:

sudo apt-get remove compton
    sudo apt-get install compton

The interesting thing is compton is no longer in the Synaptic Packager Manager.  Nor is it in my Accessory List. 

The only thing I haven't tried yet is:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:richardgv/compton
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install compton

I am afraid to do that because it might cause the same problem with the update manager and synaptic manager again.  BUT I will do it later, and let you guys know what happens.  In the mean time see if you can reproduce this issue in the VM and let us know what your results are.  Thank You.  :)

• mfrazzzmfrazzz
    PMPosts: 18
    Ok, so I just setup a 12.04.4 revisited (32 bit) VM.  When running off of the ISO (LiveDVD, not installed) the compton is not available to be installed.  Looking at the PPAs, the richardgv one is not installed on the LiveDVD by default:
    So I'm not sure why on your LiveDVD that the ppa showed up (unless you had selected to install it in Y PPA manager or ran the apt-get commands to do that).

Same thing after I did an install from the LiveDVD, the ppa for compton is not there by default.

I then used Y PPA Manager to install the compton PPA, and then used Synaptic to install it.  Just like you, I then had a Compton option under accessories..  If you click on it, the screen will flash once and thats it.  Thats because it starts compton with no parameters, so basically doesn't do anything.  I killed the running process, and then typed in compton -c -G -b and it worked as expected (I could modify the menu item to run it this way also).

So thats my research and what I found.  As for compton vs compiz, remember that compton is just a composter, where compiz is can be a full window manager (thus why lxle told you to replace openbox).  I think compiz can be run like compton (where it isn't a windows manager) but it definitely uses more resources, but may be more comfortable for you since you want a gui interface.
  • If I were to run Compiz I'd want to replace Openbox because I don't want it to take up extra resources.  I'm sure my computer can handle it because it's handled Vista for Seven Years.

I don't understand why the PPA didn't show up in your Y PPA Manager.  I didn't try to install anything, I just opened it up and looked...  The PPA is there on my 12.04 64 Live, but not on the 14.04 64 Live.  But it is in the Synaptic Package Manager as a Beta.  Note the Y PPA Manager in 14.04 looks altogether different then the Y PPA Manager does in my 12.04.

I have the 12.04 32 Bit Live ISO.  I'll take a look at that one just to see if maybe the Y PPA Manager says something different in it.  I will report back when I know.
  • I am sorry about the double post.  Here is my Report.

mfrazzz,

I promise you that there was no alterations or installations done.  I simply made the DVDs off the ISOs I downloaded and then booted my computer into them (1 at a time)  Then I opened up the managers:  Y PPA Manager and Synaptic Package Manager.  I found the PPA Link? (Is that what you call it?)  in the "Remove a PPA"  on both 12.04 32 and 12.04 64 bit.  The only thing I can come up with is you weren't looking in the same place I was.

This is the results I got after comparing 12.04.4 Live 32 with the 64 Bit Live.  The 64 bit screen shots are from the last time I made them.  I put a red circle around some titles to make what I need you to see a little more eye catching. 

32 Bit

64 Bit

• mfrazzzmfrazzz
    Based on the images you posted and the tiny bit of the background I'm seeing, you are running the versions before the latest ones (both 32bit and 64bit).  When and where did you download your ISOs? The ISO's I'm working with are the 12.04.4 Revisited and the 14.04 64bit versions (the latest ones).  It appears to me the background you have is the one with the bench.  The latest ones have the mountain chalet as the default background.  So this may explain the differences with what I'm seeing vs what you are seeing. LXLE would have to answer if he remembers having the compton ppa included.  My guess is he may have removed it from the 14.04 version as I don't think its needed now but then for the 32bit version this would make compton not available as I'm seeing.
  • mfrazzz,

I made you some more pictures.  This will tell you the versions I'm working with.  I downloaded the ISOs from this site.  I don't remember when I downloaded the 12.04.4 RC 64 Bit.  It probably was back in March.  I'd haft to do some research, and even then I couldn't tell you exactly.

Note:  I don't know why my camera didn't do as good of a job on the last picture.  Sorry if it's a little blurry. 

12.04.4 32 Bit Live

12.04.4 64 Bit RC

14.04 64 Bit

• mfrazzzmfrazzz
    I'm really not sure where you are expecting this thread to go from here, as this has went way off the road and into the weeds.  Since you are not running the latest versions of LXLE (the official releases), I think trying to compare things is a waste of time at this point.  There were multiple versions of RC's during the testing phase, and many changes that happened between the RC's and the final Release.  At this point, unless you download the latest versions and work with those, there really isn't a whole lot of reason to try to figure out why you see things different than I do (I'm positive its due to the changes in each iteration of theses testing versions.  If you want to stay with the older version of LXLE (12.04.4 either 32bit but not the "revisited" one or 64bit), thats fine too, but I don't have those versions installed now so can't speak specifics on them.

I think this thread needs to move back onto topic at this point.  You were going between Compiz and Compton.  I can't speak towards Compiz as I haven't used it.  Compton does work with LXLE and the latest version (I've used it on both 12.04.4 Revisited and the latest 14.04).  As has been shown, you will need to add the ppa for the 12.04.4 Revisited version to be able to install it.  As you pointed out, there is no GUI for it, but I personally don't see why a GUI is necessary.  Just set the parameters either on the command line or in the config file and you are done (for me thats easy enough).

• mfrazzz,

Thank you for your help. 

I don't really know much about RC's.  I've played with close to 50 different distributions of Linux and they all do things differently.  The only thing I get is the difference between the 6 month and the long term releases.  I've heard of Alpha and Beta releases, but I do my best to steer clear of them.

I agree with you, this thread has gotten off topic. But I've learned a lot from it!  If you don't mind, could you PM me more information about the difference between RC and the final release?

I recently replaced 12.04.4 RC LTS  with the newer 14.04 64 bit.  I'm hoping that will help with this Compton situation. 
  • To help simplify switching back and forth between Openbox or Compiz, have you tried downloading and installing fusion-icon?  Fusion-icon appears in your accessories menu, and when you click on it, there'll be an icon in the taskbar that shows a colored box with a mouse pointer on it.  Click that (or it might be right-click -- my memory is a little fuzzy on this one), and you'll see a menu pop up with Openbox or Compiz in it.  There could also be other items in that menu, but they're irrelevant.

I used to use Compiz fairly often several years ago with GNOME and later with Xfce.  I know for a fact that it's possible to get Compiz running in LXDE (Knoppix boots up on my laptop with Compiz up and running, so I know it can be done), although to be honest, I haven't tried this with LXLE.  But I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    To activate compiz in a terminal

sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-plugins-extra compiz-plugins compiz-plugins-main compizconfig-settings-manager

To start compiz ...

Option #1

Open "default applications for lxsession "

Change Window Manager setting to this...
    http://imgur.com/mqAEJPP.jpg
    Then log out &back in.

Option #2

Install the fusion Icon as fredbird67 mentioned. From a terminal...

sudo apt-get install fusion-icon

Look for it under menu/system/compiz fusion icon

Once in system tray left click for options. click on select window manager and choose compiz, click on select window decorator and choose gtk window decorator.

**note I highly recommend option #2 so if something doesn't work you can easily switch back to openbox.

Now in menu under preferences choose compixconfig settings manager.
    (when it opens there probably won't be a title bar). Now enable the plugins shown in these screenshots.

http://imgur.com/hfqmsfW.jpg
    http://imgur.com/VlrhDqM.jpg
    http://imgur.com/wfdHKFH.jpg

Now you should have a generic taskbar. If not in the Fusion Icon Settings click on reload window manager, or log out and in if you chose option #1.

Now you can go into the compizconfig settings manager and turn on your desired effects.

If you want a nicer looking task bar and window, then install emerald.

sudo apt-get install emerald

You can go to www.gnomelook.org and download some themes or you can customize the templates provided in emerald.

**note  Using compiz for a window manager will turn off all lxle's nice keyboard shortcuts(until you switch back to openbox window manager). You'll have to set your own under the ccms commands plugin.

Thanked by 1lxle