Is it possible to get Compiz or Kwin working in LXLE?
  • I haven't tried installing Kwin but I tried to install Compiz so that I could get some special effects.  Does Compiz work with LXLE?  Because I tried to check mark some of the special effects and none of them seem to work.  Is there something extra I need to install?  Just wondering... 

* I mentioned Kwin because I know it's an alternative to Compiz.  However back when I was watching videos about these two it didn't appear to me that Kwin had as many effects to choose from.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Menu>Preferences>Desktop Session Settings. In the window that opens click on “Advanced Options”, in the box that says Window Manager remove openbox-lxde and type compiz ccp, then click ok.

In terminal type: compiz --reload
  • lxle thank you for your advice.

I changed openbox-lxde to compiz ccp and clicked ok.  Next In the terminal tried to type in compiz --reload.  The terminal gave me this error message:

lxle@lxle-DG965OT:~$ compiz --reload
    compiz (core) - Warn: Unknown option '--reload'

compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
    lxle@lxle-DG965OT:~$

I tried compiz --replace and then compiz started working.  I'm very new to compiz and didn't know exactly what to expect.  I using the compiz fusion Icon I can switch between two window managers:  Compiz and Openbox. 

Under Compiz I get my effects but nothing under Openbox.  The biggest issue under compiz is that I don't have any minimize, maximize or x close on the top left of my windows.  Do you know how to get those working?
  • lxlelxle
    compiz is a window manager, so is openbox, your simply replacing openbox for compiz
  • lxlelxle
    scroll down to the Effects section, where you will see Window Decoration is not enabled. Simply click the check box to the left of it, and you should see your window borders reappear.
  • lxle thank you for your suggestion.  :)

I'm confused, it is already check marked.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/ADDMan1010/Configuring Compiz/WindowDecoration_zpsd3047a36.png
  • If I wanted to get rid of compiz (it isn't working right anyways)  How do I do it?

My Best guess for step 1 would be:
    Menu>Preferences>Desktop Session Settings. In the window that
    opens click on “Advanced Options”, in the box that says Window Manager
    remove compiz ccp and type openbox-lxde, then click ok?
  • lxlelxle
    do the opposite of what you did before, i would have went with compton anyway over compiz.
  • I'm willing to give compton a try.  I never heard of it but I'm doing this stuff for a learning experience anyways.  :)

The terminal wants me to install openbox-lxde.  I'm giving it a try. 

lxle@lxle-DG965OT:~$ openbox-lxde
    The program 'openbox-lxde' is currently not installed.  You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install lxde-common
    lxle@lxle-DG965OT:~$ sudo apt-get install lxde-common
    [sudo] password for lxle:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree      
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      lxde-core
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      lxde-common lxde-core
    0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 838 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 1,188 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe lxde-common all 0.5.0-4ubuntu3 [833 kB]
    Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise/universe lxde-core all 0.5.0-4ubuntu3 [5,236 B]
    Fetched 838 kB in 2s (282 kB/s)
    Selecting previously unselected package lxde-common.
    (Reading database ... 171413 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking lxde-common (from .../lxde-common_0.5.0-4ubuntu3_all.deb) ...
    Selecting previously unselected package lxde-core.
    Unpacking lxde-core (from .../lxde-core_0.5.0-4ubuntu3_all.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Setting up lxde-common (0.5.0-4ubuntu3) ...
    update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/startlxde to provide /usr/bin/x-session-manager (x-session-manager) in auto mode.
    Setting up lxde-core (0.5.0-4ubuntu3) ...

Next I typed in
    openbox-lxde --replace

I guess I'll reboot and see what happens.
  • Everything seems to be set back to the way it was before.  :)

lxle, thank you for your continuing help and patience with me!  :)

I'll give compton a try.  When I start it I'll write you an update. Unless of course you've already done it yourself, and know the proper steps to take. The other day I found the lxle wiki, and I'm going to be taking a look at it also.
  • I tried searching for Compton in the software Center and didn't find anything.  I tried searching for it in the Synaptic Package Manger and found it.  I installed it from there. 

Do I need to replace openbox?