Power management
  • netipotnetipot
    PMPosts: 7
    I have been using lxle beta 32 bit for a week now. I have an old tablet pc & at first used bodhi which was great in most ways, very speedy but have always preferred lxde. I moved back to wattOS 7.5 which is almost as fast. Lxle has grown up very fast & you have done a great job. I guess I like all the bells and whistles, but lxle does run a little slower than wattOS. I like the control center but I notice there is no power management listed and no battery icon on the panel to let me know how much battery life I have left. I guess you're letting xscreensaver do the job of power manager? I did find gnome power manager installed but it is not in the control center and it does not show up as a system notification in the panel. I added xfce4 power manager & the icon popped up in my panel & now I'm very happy. What is your reason for opting for the gnome power manager?
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    xfce power manager and xscreensaver cause headaches and conflicts with their separate settings, many go set their screensaver or power manager but don't check the other one. So although they set one of them for 2 hours, the screen still goes blank after ten minutes because the other one is set at ten minutes. On top of that your preferred settings sometimes didn't stick between reboots and you would have to adjust them again.

But the biggest reason was memory, xfce power manager uses somewhere between 15-25 megs of ram in the background at all times, while gnome power manager virtually none in comparison. I guess we should address some kind of battery indicator some how. I'll see what I can find.
  • netipotnetipot
    I agree. Those conflicts always use to annoy & confuse me. I guess that I have gotten so use to them now I forget that I have to always do that extra step to coordinate them. I had no idea there was such a big difference in memory. I always think xfce apps must always use less then gnome but, it's not always the case.
  • lxlelxle
    I am debating how absolutely necessary a battery indicator is to the system by default. I have a fairly elegant solution in mind but was wondering, if the os is built for aging computers, how many will have laptops with a battery that can actually hold a charge for more than 20 minutes? My guess is not that many. So am not sure if a battery indicator should be default or an easy forum solution offered to those looking for it.
  • I think a battery indicator is important to anyone with a laptop. I wonder how many lxle users are installing on laptops? 
  • lxlelxle
    I have an simple elegant solution to the power indicator already loaded up for the release candidate. :)
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • netipotnetipot
    Great!
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Was the elegant solution to add the SystemTools/Battery Info applet to the task bar?

This is my short term kludge with 12.04.4 ~ I finally loaded it on my Thinkpad 400, and I plan to keep it through the planned release life in 2017.
    The laptop-mode-tools should be nuked from the repository, imo ~ it totally locked the screen.  image

The Battery Info display is next to useless, but, if you are clairvoyant it can be a small hint.

The Conky display could handle fan speed, temps AND battery indicator, but frankly, every time I try to tweak the Conky file it goes sideways.

Anyone have some ideas for a script or an app that won't hose the install??  image
  • lxlelxle
    Are you using '12.04.4 Revisited' or just 12.04.4?
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    12.4.04 ~ burned the 64bit iso 2.28.14
  • lxlelxle
    2 28 was too early, and 12.04.4 unless it says 'revisited' is not the current build.
    Thanked by 1Zaka