LXLE 18.04?
  • Very very neat usable fast combination jwm n openbox ...
  • The only thing I don't like  about enlightenment, is everything is hard encoded. It is what makes it light and fast, but also makes you learn the programming (if you want to tweak it much). Also the themes are very finicky and if not properly written will cause all kinds of issues.

I vote for openbox!

@sagsaw Just out of curiosity, why would you run 2 different window managers at the same time?
  • The only thing I don't like  about enlightenment, is everything is hard encoded. It is what makes it light and fast, but also makes you learn the programming (if you want to tweak it much). Also the themes are very finicky and if not properly written will cause all kinds of issues.

I vote for openbox!

@sagsaw Just out of curiosity, why would you run 2 different window managers at the same time?
  • On second thoughts Or is missing

But possibly I must have thought if both can be combined to get best of both the worlds ... Duno

BodhiLinux is already enlightenment

• I hope thisends soon and we all have a 18.04 out soon ...
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I'm still up in the air about it all... the current themes for lxde are also broken in 18.04...
  • I'm also very excited for your new throw. :)

I'm waiting for a few months now after buying my new SSD because I thought it would be a good idea to have lxle installed on a state when no large update comes for 2 years. :)

Have you already made a choice for a new desktop?
    As long as it's as fast, stable and beautiful as the old one, I'm satisfied with anything. :)

Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Personally I think the LXDE team did themselves no favors by moving to QT at least so far..  lxqt has been playing catchup to lxde for years and because of that lxde has remained with no major new features/improvement... essentially resulting in 4 years of stale development.

Without the themes in the last version currently working in 18.04 it really puts difficultly in the potion of making everything look good and slick with many personal choices of color.... and that sucks... on top of just aesthetics you have things that just don't work/look right regardless...

Of course lubuntu wouldn't have a problem with this because the desktop is so basic they don't know what the hell works with what program etc etc... sometimes i think 'base' is on purpose to be able to plausibly deny that you knew something worked or not.
  • I think, personally, Openbox would be good.

In keeping with LXLE core theme of LATEST SOFTWARE ON LATEST LTS UBUNTU SUPPORTING OLDEST POSSIBLE HARDWARE.

Hope to see the all NEW 18.04  LXLE soon.
  • I see, the situation seems to be difficult...
    Would it be an option to just stay with LXDE (no-Qt) to keep compatibility until LXDE-Qt is far enough? Maybe with a small skinning-guide your community could also help you to make it beautiful. :)

It's far not my intention to put you into a haste, but do you have an estimation or a time schedule when the first LXLE 18 is going to be done?
    I'm aksing because I wanted to re-install my laptop and asked myself whether I should wait for the new one or just re-install the latest LXLE 16.

Kind regards and a have nice Sunday, Rhino :)
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."