LOL... the bitching about the latest being 20.04 is hilarious.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    One of my biggest pet peeves about any release I do is that lack of people reading anything about it. I've gotten so many emails and reviewers bitching about the release being built from 20.04 that at some point it just becomes hilarious.

Particularly because I've been using linux for 20 some odd years and doing this distro for nearly 10 of those years as if I have no idea what tends to be true when it comes to old hardware and new kernels/releases. No matter how many times I explain the decision to stay an lts release behind the current it seems to go right in one ear and out the other.

Can you put LXLE on a modern computer? Sure, absolutely. Is that what it's built for? No it isn't. It's not just 'lightweight'... there are many distro's that 'claim' that... and I do mean 'claim'. However this distro does more than focus on being 'lightweight'.. I also take into account support for older hardware and stability.  That almost always is ensured by basing the OS on a slightly older mature kernel/lts and the subset software that goes with it.

With Ubuntu's ESM your old computer will have until 2030 to run this latest version of LXLE while receiving updates. I mean good grief.... 2030... 2 years shy of what the latest lts will give you. So do you want stability and support for your hardware today right now this minute or do you want 2 extra years of security updates that is more than 8 years away for a computer you might not even have then?

LXLE is built to install it on an old computer to extend it's life by making it still usable. It's not a 'competitive OS' vying for users, acclaim or popularity. It's a throw on OS so you don't have to throw out a still working computer. Many times the 'I want' crowd has no idea what they're talking about. Luckily I have no problem issuing refunds if someone is unsatisfied. ; )

Side Note:  To all users of this OS. I'm a desktop administrator by trade and education/degree. I never wanted to be a programmer as it never appealed to me. This distro became popular because a Desktop Administrator shockingly... wait for it.... developed a pretty decent desktop. Popularity was never the intention. The original intention was out of personal need of wanting an easier way to install what I thought was a good desktop for customers with old machines that came into the computer repair shop where I was working at the time.  I decided to make it publicly available.

Sometimes the complaints about this and that make a 'fun project' not much fun and that sucks. I'm not sure about the rest of you. But once I install an OS I think is decent for my needs I almost instantly forget about it. Because I'm too busy being alive to care which OS is helping me check my email and browse some webpages.

The only time as OS would be 'on your mind' a lot is if it's constantly giving you problems that you need to address. Which is why windows users always know exactly what version of that POS they're running. LOL....
  • MuhibbijAbadMuhibbijAbad
    PMPosts: 32
    They just don’t understand the concept of LXLE. Moreover they don’t know how difficult it is to come up with distribution that works perfectly on old machines.
    In fact, you did announce your way of making releases here. They are just come and go types. Otherwise they would already made their “points” then.
    Don’t be sad, there are plenty of us who understand and appreciate your work..
    Hi to you and your family..
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    lol thanks brother but I'm not sad... at this point I just roll my eyes and get on with it.
  • verdantverdant
    PMPosts: 6
    Cannot agree more @lxle @MuhibbijAbad....!
    The best desktop OS is one that does 'its stuff' reliably in the background and just lets me be productive using the OS - LXLE fits the description 100%!

Using a car analogy, it is better to have a car that drives anywhere and any distance reliably albeit not at the fastest possible speed, versus a car that while it is potentially the best and fastest ever , iycan never quite prove it because it is so 'sensitive', it spends most of its time stuck in a 'tune-up' garage.....
  • So far LXLE works just fine on the laptop I have it installed on and I am very pleased with it!
  • I agree with the above comments totally.  On my other computer (same as the LXLE one) I have Red Hat Enterprise 9.2 and Fedora 39.  They are ok but I still like LXLE one better and that is why it is my main computer.
    Don Chriscoe
    10240 Roan Rd
    Flagstaff, AZ