DDG not as good as Google? It's more you than you think.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    For those who think only Google can find what your looking for there is two reasons for that, one of course is they are tracking the crap out of you and tailoring search results for you in your own little search bubble world you've created, but an even bigger reason why some have trouble switching is because whether you know it or not, you've trained your brain to search in a Google like fashion, in otherwords, every search engine takes a little finessing when choosing what terms you use in your search, I've been using DuckDuckGo so long now, that my brain is now trained to use DuckDuckGo style search terms, so much so that those same terms don't always work on Google when they work just as I expected on DuckDuckGo. If anyone wants some pointers on how to make the change, simply try adding one extra search parameter to your regular query that you would use on google and wala, duckduckgo will more than likely find it, which to me is a small price to pay for a bit more privacy. Yes at times I also !g bang google, but its gets more or more less frequent.
  • lxlelxle
    Before someone chimes in with some kind of accusation, yes DuckDuckGo does contribute to LXLE the same as it does to many other well known Linux Distributions, and while that could be perceived as search engine bias, it actually isn't, reason being is at least as far as I'm concerned is while not all of DuckDuckGo is opensource because some of the search engines that it uses to obtain results are closed source, there is nothing they can do about that, however essentially all of their in house software is opensource which is more than others can say, mainly startpage which is DuckDuckGo's biggest competitor for private searches, Startpage has no opensource components of its search engine at all. None, zilch, nada. On top of that Startpage doesn't support any projects whether opensource or not with the revenue they generate. Thats their right, but I tend to lean toward projects that help other projects, particularly opensource projects.

Also and this is just my personal feeling, I'm not overly comfortable with the idea of not wanting Google to track and catalog my activities by using a service that uses Google to obtain its results. It's a similar reason why I don't use Chrome or Chromium web browser. For me even if you use anti-tracking extensions on those browsers its basically like putting lipstick on a pig.

However Startpage is liked by many and perhaps I'm overly critical because of the above statements. Essentially of course its up to you, but I thought I better nip this post in the bud, before it turned accusatory.
  • lxlelxle
  • JakobJakob
    PMPosts: 30
    I tried DDG in order to switch from Google Search - and first impression is that I could easily switch to DDG - except for one thing I really miss: The Search tool / time parameter. It's a great tool for example if you are looking for anything regarding Linux - because normally pages that are more than a year old is irrelevant. Maybe the tool is present at DDG? I just can't find it.
  • lxlelxle
    DDG Bang Commands do tons of stuff
    https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

DDG sort by date command is

!date yoursearchterms

any of these bang commands will do a search on google for you in a time parameter

!gweek yoursearchterms
    !gmonth yoursearchterms
    !gday yoursearchterms
    !g24 yoursearchterms
    !gyear yoursearchterms

of course bang commands must be done using duckduckgo as the search engine.
    Thanked by 1iduhkno
  • JakobJakob
    PMPosts: 30
    Thanks. That looks great. I think I'll switch to DDG.
  • My main issues with DDG is I don't like the layout it uses compared to google and startpage.com.  I've also gotten used to being able to click to view a link using ixquick's proxy via startpage but the main thing I like is being able to tell startpage to only show me results from the last month, 6 months, year.....etc to limit the results to recent material.  Are there alternatives to achive the same thing with DDG?  I'll try the bang codes you mentioned for the time searches and see how they work out.
  • lxlelxle
    I don't support startpage because they don't support anyone but themselves. Not through opensource code nor through monetary support. They are also doing the same thing as scroogle yet scroogle was shut down, but whatever their 'special' relationship is with Google keeps them running.

http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/889/lxles-default-search-engine-doing-the-most-good-
  • XayeshaXayesha
    PMPosts: 31
    Personally I use Oceanhero as much as I can because all proceeds from using said search engine goes towards cleaning up plastics in our oceans. Over 90 % of plastic waste in the oceans is generated by six impoverished Indonesian nations and this organization is doing what they can to combat that. It can be accessed here. 
  • It may not fix exactly into the topic ddg vs google vs startpage, but it fits very well into the searchpage topic:^^
    Do you know a searchpage that can search for strings containing special characters exactly?

I was recently searching for a way to use a pretty new protocol and was not able to make any web search engine only show results containing "msteams://".
    Testing LXLE 18.04.3 (64-Bit) on DELL-XPS-M1530
    "Needless to say, LXLE is a speedy, low resource using beast of an OS."