Installing Legacy NVIDIA Driver
  • My GeForce 8400GS bit the dust recently, so I'm back to using on-board graphics for this old Gateway GT5656 desktop. The Novueau driver works most of the time, but every now and then I get a "display seizure" and I have to restart. The last NV driver is 304.137. I downloaded this and tried to install it, but I get an error message, saying I need to get out of X before installing. Does this mean blocking or even uninstalling the Nouveau driver?

I am using this method to install the NV driver:

cd ~/Downloads
    chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.137.run
    ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.137.run

I get the error when trying to run the last command. Not sure where to go from here. 

Thanks,

Mike

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    check the driver manager first.
  • Yes, I did that, forgot to mention. It shows the 304 driver,  tries to apply the changes, but fails and switches back to the nouveau. 

Edit: The above refers to what happened on Zorin, which I was on at the time (I'm trying to solve this on both systems). Sorry for being a bonehead.

Here's what happens when I run Driver Manager in LXLE: the error message states that there are unmet dependencies*, or there is a conflict with another driver (presumably Nouveau).

*The following packages have unmet dependencies:

nvidia-304: Depends: x11-common (>= 1:7.0.0) but 1:7.7+19ubuntu7.1 is to be installed
                Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.2) but 1:8.3.0-6ubuntu1~18.04.1 is to be installed
                Depends: xorg-video-abi-23 but it is a virtual package

• Last post was edited - new information. 
  • lxlelxle
    looks like people have done reality drastic things to get it working....
  • Well, it does look like a hopeless task. The driver, Nvidia 304.137, simply won't work on anything later than Ubuntu 16 distros, I just figured that out while searching the Nvidia forum. Of well, the 16 series still have support for another year. After that, I'll need to get a new video card I guess. Or put up with display failures.
  • lxlelxle
    you could always just use vesa
  • C'mon, man, there is such a thing as aesthetics!