Cannot get into my desktop - after I enter password, the password is accepted, then the box hangs
  • I've run rescatux and boot repair.  Boot repair advises:

"""The boot files of [Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS] are far from the start of the

disk. Your BIOS may not detect them. You may want to retry after

creating a /boot partition (EXT4, >200MB, start of the disk). This can

be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via

the [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair].

(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootPartition) """

However, I've been successfully logging in since installation back then.  Just two weeks ago it broke.

Now I'm trying to recover, you guessed it, important files that were not backed up, before installing new OS.

Thanks.

Running 16.04.3_64 happily.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    drop to recovery console and try updating the system

Thanked by 1Nettles
  • I'm in Grub menu, and entered the next level. and could use some advice. Please. Do I ask for command line?  and if so, what is the command? 

(I have tried booting many of the recovery modes down the first long list, from -141-107.)  :0

• P.S.  The system boots.  Then asks me to login. The problem starts after I enter my password.   (I have tried all the options on the drop down menu. When I chose CLEAN, press OK, it instantly says $: clean,  number of files etc.  Then the computer does nothing.  Wait and wait.  Nothing.  reboot. Try next item on the list. Same thing. rinse and repeat.)

SO... Ubuntu says something about using same disc that I installed with.  I tried that with Posh disk.  That boots.  I can see mounted 113G HDD.  I can find my home files.  They sit there,  mocking me.  Not sure where to go from here.

Any more ideas?

• Today I tried to install the original Posh Disk 14.04.4over the system, to see if it would have a reinstall option, as Ubuntu does. That option allows my files to remain intact. Instead, to my surprise, it told me that Ubuntu 14.04.5 was installed and did I want to install LXLE beside it.

The POSH was 14.04.4.  Does this mean that during updates or something POSH upgraded itself to version 14.04.5?

Is that why I'm having problems booting now?  This problem began about a month-3 weeks ago.  Everything worked find until then.  Although I had a similar problem about five months ago, that boot repair was able to fix.

What is the best way to get my encrypted home back?
    Please offer some advice.

• One other thought:  do you have the version that I need to download archived somewhere?  I tried to find a posh 14.04.5 in the Sourceforge files, but did not see one there. Thanks.  And if so, would this reinstall over the system, and allow my files to remain as they are?
  • I've had the best result so far installing Eclectica Live.  There I can see all the files, and they are now copying over to an external HDD. This is the link that has helped me most so far   https://www.howtogeek.com/116297/how-to-recover-an-encrypted-home-directory-on-ubuntu/

Fortunately, I have the password and encrypt passphrase saved from installation.

• @lxle
    I need a copy of the installation disk for POSH 14.04.5.  Where can download it? Nothing else is working.  Copying files to external HDD, using all the commands found in all the support sites, nothing. 
    The only thing left is to try and open the files with the original installation disk. I installed POSH 14.04.4, but it appears as 14.04.5.
    I cannot live without these files.  You are my only hope left.  Please scratch brains with me?
  • I may have a copy
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
    Thanked by 1Nettles
  • The message that appears after running encryptfs-recover-private.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw6lyRFHW-AxUVN6TFpoZTRmMjJuV05vNHZ3WlVkVEFEWjVn/view?usp=sharing
  • BTW I learned that the recovery mode is broken on the original installation.  However, it can be run from the live CD from the terminal.  In any event, it is borked.