LXLE renamed Ubuntu in grub after dist-upgrade
  • (edit): TL;DR

When prompted during an upgrade - If you want to overwrite user modified files or grub -  choose 'N' (Default). Else your grub entry for LXLE will be changed to generic name.

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi, I have a Acer-Aspire-5742. Setting up multi-boot system. Windows 10 fresh install on sda1, several Distros on different partitions, used GParted. Installing bootloaders to main drive (sda, not to individual Linux partitions.) Legacy Bios, no UEFI. MBR (needed for Linux Lite, per documentation). Samsung Pro 256 ssd is only disk. Distros are installed to / of each partition. Ext4 formating.

I can boot and all OS are seen in grub menu. I have a hunch that bc grub bootloader is installing to /sda that editing grub within each distro is not updating grub on sda???

I have read several grub forum posts and tutorials to no avail. I have installed & tried grub-customizer with no apparent changes made upon reboot. Yes, running {sudo -update-grub} after any changes.

The LXLE distro was renamed after I ran {sudo apt dist-upgrade}. Not sure if it was renamed bc of the dist-upgrade, or bc I chose to overwrite grub during the upgrade process.  So, if I were to reinstall LXLE on same partition it is currently on, then dist-upgrade and choose to leave grub as-is, would this fix the rename issue? I installed from iso downloaded a few months ago, so would downloading most current version (if there even is one) avoid the need to do a dist-upgrade and skip the rename issue?  I want to add more distros, don't want a bunch of generic names.) Does this happen with every upgrade? I Seems really dumb to have an installed OS re-named in boot-loader menu, especially if multi-booting into distros with  similar kernals!!

Please help! Will any of my LXLE re-install fixes be easier than messing with distro names? As noted, I have read a lot about modifying grub and using gui, but instructions are still clear as MUD to me. Thanks

/dev/sda1 ntfs Windows 10 (80gb)
    /dev/sda2/extended
       /dev/sda5   Linux Lite 3.8 (20 gb)
       /dev/sda6   LXLE (20gb)
       /dev/sda7   Mint Cinnamon 18.3 (Sylvia) (20gb)
       /dev/sda8   empty (DistroX) (20gb)
       /dev/sda9   empty (DistroY) (20gb)
       /dev/sda10 Bootloader (1gb) setup but not used
       /dev/sda11 Var (1gb) setup but not used
       /dev/sda12  DATA  (40Gb) for symlinks to shared data
       /dev/sda13 empty (10gb) DistroZ or other future use, like expand DATA
       /dev/sda14 SWAP  (6.44gb) 
  • Does it matter which Distro I am in when modifying grub due to multi-boot? Does modifying grub or using grub-customizer need to be done from within the most recent distro installed??
  • Since the point of this is to tinker, and the installs are fresh with minimal configuration...

I downloaded the latest LXLE iso and reinstalled it to the same partition with grub to /sda.

That reinstalled the LXLE grub to mbr, I think its my favorite...all flavors have their proper names and all is right on my laptop...until the next distro upgrade? 

If I want to keep LXLE grub while adding new distros should they be have bootloader installed to their own / partition instead of /sda (disk mbr)? 
    Thx!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    sorry i didn't reply... i was hoping someone else would.. when it comes to grub i do more learning from others then telling... it's a finicky beast.
  • That's ok, I figured it out...enough for now. Thx

I have to say tho, I have scrapped Linux Lite entirely - on-board wifi never works and I  can't remember how I got it working last time, on same old laptop (HP dv8000). Its too annoying & time-consuming to deal with. 

LXLE detects Broadcom 4318 adapter & installs wifi at installation with zero issues. Everything just works with LXLE. 

The only changes I make are:
    - Install Numlockx - wish it were an option out of box - laptops have no option in bios.
    - Modify screenlock, still working on this, thought I changed to zero to disable, but still pops up. 
    -Configure margins so maximized windows don't hide behind menu bars at top & bottom. I wish I could fix this for resizing windows, but just turn up edge resistance instead.
    - Install Chromium (can't abandon my synced tabs & bookmarks - multiple pc's & laptops).
    - Install Chrome - just for Netflix - follow your post on making Netflix open in Chrome window as executable.
    - Install Systemback & create restore point

Thanks for an awesome os that runs on ancient hardware!

• TL;DR

When prompted during an upgrade - If you want to overwrite user modified files or grub -  choose 'N' (Default). Else your grub entry for LXLE will be changed to generic name.

This discussion has been closed.
All Threads