LXLE on new pc?
  • JakobJakob
    PMPosts: 30
    I understand why lxle is specifically branding itself towards old pc's - because it works a lot better on them than most OS'es. But if I were to choose a distro for a new pc today, it would also be lxle.
    Can anyone think of reasons to choose another distro/OS for a new pc?
    Personally I would consider using a Puppy version for portability (on both old and new pc's) or in some future consider using Ubuntu if I had Ubuntu tablets or phones and wanted the same interface on my main pc (though I don't really know why I would want that :D) ... but on the other hand I think it is a great advantage that the distro on my main/new pc can also be used on older pc's - so I really know that OS and it is not just something I have to get used to when setting up older pc's - which again points to lxle :) 
  • RobinRobin
    PMPosts: 24
    I agree!  It's super-duper-ultra fast, fully featured, and serves as a drop-in replacement for Windows on a fairly new machine here.  I use it on three computers exclusively.

• boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    This is a Super great option for both old and new.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • zebedeebosszebedeeboss
    PMPosts: 2
    The beauty of Linux is its ability to meet the needs of so many differing users.  Whether old or new there is a Linux for you. LXLE will work on both old and new PC's.  If you think it's good on your older PC watch it Fly!!!!!!!! on newer hardware. Great OS that simply works.
  • Can LXLE be installed on HP Stream 7 tablet?

UEFI firmware

• 1.8GHz Intel Atom Z3735G quad-core
      processor 32 bit
    • 1GB DDR3L of system memory
    • 7" touchscreen, 1280 x 800
      resolution, virtual keyboard
    • Built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi and
      Bluetooth v4.0
            Need Your Help

Tocrow

• I'm using it on a brand new Lenovo laptop. I think the choice is one part preference, and one part resources. My laptop is very low spec, it cost a whopping $150 on Woot, and while it came with Windows10, I doubt that experience would've been particularly pleasant. As such, I think a lightweight Linux like LXLE is perfect for such a system.

@Tocrow
    I would expect you could, after all mine's an UEFI firmware, I just had to switch to Legacy (BIOS) boot. You will likely have issues with the touch screen though, and possibly the network card as those tend the places where driver issues come up.
    --
    Seph Harrison
    A figment of his own imagination
    @Taur10 on Telegram
    @TaurTen on Twitter
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    I have installed LXLE on many computers. New and old alike. You can;t go wrong with LXLE.
  • I am new to the fold, installed LXLE less than a month ago on my ten year old HP laptop.  It never ran this well in its long life.  I have some elderly friends with a computer running XP and they're having all sorts of problems with it.  They simply refuse to try Linux.  I told them it ain't what it used to be but they remain calcified.
  • Gene_50Gene_50
    PMPosts: 13
    I too have a HP blue Stream which has limited resoucres...it has a touch screen which is nice to use...I have put lxle on an E-machines desktop, worksgreat....I would like to install on the HP.....any thoughts about the touch screen????

Gene