Videos playback is jerky/choppy
  • I installed that driver, the screen went blank, so I had to restart. Now LXLE is stuck on a console screen and doesn't go into the GUI.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    To start Ubuntu into safe mode (Recovery Mode) hold down the left Shift key as the computer starts to boot. If holding the Shift key doesn't display the menu press the Esc key repeatedly to display the GRUB 2 menu. From there you can choose the recovery option. Then hit enter.

After the system does a text mode boot a menu will appear, select 'run in failsafe graphic mode.

hit enter

once to the desktop launch synaptic and do a search for cedarview and remove it, you might also be able to go to additional drivers and remove it from there.
  • GRUB is still working OK - it's after selecting LXLE from it that the problem occurs. If I select "LXLE ... (recovery mode)", the Recovery Menu doesn't include "run in failsafe graphic mode". It has resume, clean, dpkg, fsck, grub, network, root, system-summary.
  • Thanks - but I can't get a working command prompt - I can type, but commands aren't executed. I think I'll just re-install. I'll take a backup image this time (using Acronis True Image Home).
  • I guess we're still without a solution to the jerky video problem. I've upgraded the netbook to 2GB RAM so at least Windows 7 is more usable, but I would like to use LXLE.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    you never stated where video is 'jerky' exactly. websites? youtube? or just in the video player? if only in the video player than i would try the vlc idea.
  • Actaully I did! "...with the bundled Videos app on LXLE it is not smooth". It seems better now - will test more soon and report back.
  • With the default Totem video player:
    • H.264 in .flv or .mp4 :- very choppy, unwatchable.
    • Xvid in .avi :- a lot better, a bit choppy maybe.
    VLC Media Player opens the files and shows the first frame but doesn't play the video.
    Another problem is that the brightness control doesn't work, so watching in the dark on the netbook is out of the question. Any suggestions of a distro that might solve these problems? I would have preferred to use LXLE though.