Videos playback is jerky/choppy
  • Running LXLE 14.04.1 on Packard Bell Dot S netbook, dual boot with Windows 7. Even though there is only 1GB RAM (for now) video playback is smooth on MPC:HC on Windows 7, but with the bundled Videos app on LXLE it is not smooth. I would suggest this is due to video drivers. Maybe hardware acceleration isn't being used? The video 'card' is Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3600. Of course neither Packard Bell nor Intel have Linux drivers for it.
    It's annoying because Windows 7 is barely usable on it for the most part!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Menu>Preferences>Additional Drivers
  • lxlelxle
    You would be better off using the 32bit version of LXLE since the graphics chip would be fully supported.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/592112/intel-gma-3600-cant-be-detected/592239#592239

http://askubuntu.com/a/153073
  • Thanks for that. The 32-bit version won't install though, grrr.
  • lxlelxle
    little more info is needed please
  • With both 64- and 32-bit versions, the install process freezes part way through with a blank screen.
  • lxlelxle
    part way through what? part way through boot, part way through install? because at no time during install does the screen change. try installing without checking any boxes like upgrade or install codecs, they aren't needed anyway.
  • the install process freezes part way through. actually it tends to freeze, then subsequently the screen goes blank. i'll restart the process (32-bit) again now and give you more detail.
    note: sure i checked 'install updates' and install mp3 codecs the first time i installed lxle on this netbook, which was successful.
  • LXLE 12.04.5
     1 boot menu - "install - start the installer directly".
     3 english - continue.
     4 left "download updates while installing" and "install this third-party software" unchecked.
     5 installation type: something else.
     6 select ext2 partition, check "format the partition", mount point "/".
     7 "install now".
     8 i left "where are you?" at the default location (london).
     9 "creating ext2 file system..."
    10 ... "copying files"
    11 now the computer has frozen with the "copying files..." at about 75%. the mouse pointer won't move; the screen is frozen. it hasn't gone blank. (maybe that happened previously when i closed the lid.)
  • lxlelxle
    If it does it on both the 32 and 64 I would say its either the medium in which it's being installed from, perhaps the method used to put it on that medium or maybe a strange bug since no other reports have come in with similar issues with the installer.

What are you using to put it on the usb stick? When was the last time you reformatted the usb stick, not erased its content but actually reformatted?
  • I installed from DVD±R on a USB DVD drive. I burned the LXLE images to disc using ImgBurn on Windows, using the verify option to make sure the burn was without errors.