FN keys noit wokring (can't andjust screen brightness)
  • slingshotslingshot
    PMPosts: 13
    HI
    I'm quite impressed with this distro, the way most things are all up and running from the start.

I have a samsung nc10 netbook, and the only problem is the 'fn' keys are not working so I cannot check battery status, change volume, and most importantly adjust the screen brightness.

Are there any fixes or do I need to continue my search for a linux os that does all I want it to!!!??

Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I'm guessing your used to xfce, install xfce-power-manager and xfce volumed
  • slingshotslingshot
    Thanks.

I'm not really used to anything

pleas can you tell me how to install power manager and volumed?

They are not in thje software center

Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    synaptic package manager
  • slingshotslingshot
    Thanks
    I installed them but it still wont work.

I'm just using the usb os, i was going to install properly if everything worked.

Is it not applying changed because i am on the usb os?
    Or is it simply just not working?

Thanks
  • lxlelxle
    must be installed to apply changes
  • slingshotslingshot
    ok.. i'l give it a go

thanks
  • slingshotslingshot
    I ran into problems installing.

I have 3 partitions on my drive, windows xp on first, then windows 7, which created a dual boot.

But i cant put linux on the remaining partition (it says something that its not the root or something), and if i select to install it on the windows 7 partition, it doesn't show up when booting.

How to install it on the third empty partition so that all 3 os's come up in the boot menu??

Thanks
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Put the BOOTLOADER on the partition where the current dual-boot is located (most likely on the XP partition, as that was the 1st one created) ~ you can then install LXLE on the remaining partition.

If you still can't get a handle on it, post back here with a screen shot (or concise description) of what you're looking at during the partition phase of the install..
  • slingshotslingshot
    I managed to do it sir, following this guide:
    http://www.bl0g.co.uk/triple-boot-xp-win7-and-ubuntu

I even added swap files.. i think.

No i think i have all i need on my netbook.

XP for games and tasking, windows 7 for anything xp cant do, and a fast browser (LXLE) for surfing the web since it maybe dangerous for xp now that the updates are finished.

Is it true i do not need an anti virus with linux?

Thanks for your help

p.s  Grrrrrr
    Now i have installed it the package manager is acting differently and does not have the xfce-power-manager available.

please help again

• slingshotslingshot
    i found the xfce volume package, but it didnt do anything when i installed it.
    Still cant control volume with keyboard.

Update.

I found the package manager, for some reason the search system needed time to find everything.

I have installed everything, but unfortunately my keyboard still wont change the screen brightness.

I think we need a boffin to tell me hos to fix this.
    This is unfortunately one of the problems with linux - promising but usually has some error that you either have to live with or uninstall the os.

Hopefully this time I can keep this os... but i'd REALLY like to be able to change me screen brightness !?
    Thanks