• airjetairjet
    PMPosts: 20
    My computer has been running with dual boot with XP and LXLE.  This morning, I found that my mouse and keyboard was "frozen" or locked.  I had no other option than to hold the power button in until it shut down.  

I then booted back up, but then I found this display:  "Error: unknown filesystem." And then on the next line was this:  "grub rescue>".

I did a little searching and found someone that recommended running the Boot-Repair disk and it had worked for them.  So, since I do have the disk, I rebooted with it. After this repair disk finished, I rebooted as directed and this time, it went straight into Windows. There was no display of the grub menu. I thought I would try it again but this time I chose the failsafe option.  After that process, I rebooted again, but it still went on into Windows without giving me the grub menu.  I did notice that before I had rebooted, I could right-click the desktop and select the Terminal.  I didn't do that  since I do not know any commands that was needed.

I would like to get my grub menu back and keep LXLE.

Here is the link given me after I ran the Boot-Repair disk the first time: 
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7355060

Here is the link given me after I ran the Boot-Repair disk the second time:  
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/7355282

Thanks for your help.

• airjetairjet
    I tried the Terminal way link, but when I typed in sudo grub, it said, "command not found".
    I tried the Boot Repair link and loaded Ubuntu. I opened the Terminal and typed in each command line, and then I tried to find anything like System > Administration > but I could not. So I stopped there.
    I then tried the last link which wanted me to the CD for Boot Repair, and I had tried that already without success.
    I'll keep trying things as I will keep on looking though.
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi airjet, please try this. http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/261/how-to-restore-grub-with-the-live-dvd#Item_1
    That should do the trick.
    regards
    borunco

NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • airjetairjet
    Hi, borunco. Sorry. I had posted this reply last night to the wrong thread.  I followed your instructions and afterwards rebooted and
    wound up with a display that reads: "Minimal BASH-like line editing is
    supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command complettions.
    Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.
    grub>"
    When
    I ran the sudo fdisk -l, I found the line that seems to show LXLE on
    sda6 and the MBR on sda1. So in the Terminal, I typed sudo mount
    /dev/sda6 /mnt and I remember it said sda6 is read only and I went ahead
    and inserted sda1 in a new line: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt. I guess I
    did wrong. I re-ran Disk Repair and was able to get back into Windows as you can see.  I may go thru your link again when I have time to see if I missed anything.  Thanks!
  • boruncoborunco
    Hi Airjet, if you look at the tutorial. MBR lives in sda not sda1
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    LXLE 32bit
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    time to reinstall, there is no possible way that all those solutions that work for everyone else does not work.
  • boruncoborunco
    lxle is probably right, but if you want to boot the live media again and go to gparted and take a screenshot of your partitions and posted here, maybe I could see what's going on.

NEVER STOP LEARNING
    LXLE 32bit
  • boruncoborunco
    But for sure grub does not go on sda1 on a dual boot, specially with windows XP, it needs to be in sda.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    LXLE 32bit
  • airjetairjet
    I'm back. I did a re-install the live desktop or virtual desktop. I've got to pretty much start over with some things, like during my first install.  There is a change in my partitions and I appreciate your offer to help. First, I tried to use the Print Screen key for gparted and it evidently doesn't work. Gimp says there is no image in the Clipboard.  Is there a hot key combo I can use? Or an app I need to get?
    And about the grub, I'll get to it next, I reckon. Thanks!
  • airjetairjet
    Ok. I found out how to do a screenshot. I hope this works.image Sorry about that. Maybe this will work. I'll post this and see how it does.
    Well, I pasted it in here, but it was too big to post. I've got to go for now. Tell me how to post a screen shot and when I come back, I'll put it in.  Thanks.