How to restore Grub with the live DVD
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    Hi all, it seems lately that some people will do something to brake there MBR (Master Boot Record) that is where your grub lives. If you have a normal install in a single Hdd, it will probably be called sda, that said if this happens to you all is not lost, you still most likely have your install intact. Here is how you can fix these problem.

1). Start your computer with your Live LXLE DVD or USB. ( this will also work with any live cd, as long it has Grub in it.)

2). Once you have the live desktop up, Open terminal, if you don't know how just go to Menu>Accessories>ROXTerm,

3) Once in terminal you can determine the partition that you want to target (in case you don't know it) by typing

CODE: sudo fdisk -l

and click Enter . you are looking to see where your LXLE is installed, again if you have a basic install it could be sda1

so for this tutorial we will use that one sda1

4). Ok now we need to mount that partition please type.

CODE: sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

and click Enter

5) Now you will install Grub please type.

CODE: sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda

Exit terminal and reboot, making sure that the live media (DVD/USB) does not start again.

At reboot you should have your Grub back where it belongs and you will see it in your boot screen.

I would boot in your install and enter terminal once more and type.

CODE: sudo update-grub

and click Enter, once finished log out and back in and you are as good as new.

I would recommend that you copy/paste my codes so you can keep the right spaces in the code or else they will not work.

Regards
    borunco
    Never Stop Learning

:-B
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
    Thanked by 2Zaka HDWildBill