Linux Programs for Windows XP Users
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    You probably have to turn off uefi in bios.  It's microsoft new tool to make it more difficult for other operating systems to be installed. They call it secure boot, but its really another vendor lock in attempt.
    Thanked by 1rglove
  • rgloverglove
    PMPosts: 38
    I'm fairly certain that I've tried that before and the computer wouldn't even go past the initial stages of booting into windows; it also wasn't reading the LXLE burned DVD(cd).

I'll try it once more though, and report the results.
  • rgloverglove
    I turned off UEFI, and it runs into windows without any problems, but the burned DVD(cd) still doesn't go into Setup.

• lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Try using USB instead of a DVD, there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to boot LXLE.
  • rgloverglove
    i don't have a usb, like i said my goal was to install LXLE with a dvd(cd)
  • mfrazzzmfrazzz
    PMPosts: 18
    Ok, do this...

In Windows, put in your burned LXLE DVD and open it up with explorer.  Do you see multiple files, or do you just see the lxle iso file?  If you only see the lxle iso, then you didn't burn the DVD correctly.  If you see multiple files, then something else is wrong with the way it was burned.

Here's my recommendation: 

* Download a copy of ImgBurn (its free): http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe
    * Install ImgBurn and then run it
    * Click on "Write Image File to Disc"
    * For Source, Choose the LXLE ISO file you downloaded. Make sure Destination is your DVD writer
    * Click the icon at the bottom to burn the DVD

This will make a bootable LXLE DVD.  Now reboot your PC and it should boot.  If it doesn't boot, then in your BIOS settings you probably need to change the boot order and make sure your DVD drive is before your Hard Drive, and then save the settings and reboot again.

Thats really all there is to it.
    Thanked by 2Zaka rglove
  • rgloverglove
    Thanks mfrazzz, I'll let you know how it turned out!!
  • rgloverglove
    How do I get my windows back and be able to do a partition with LXLE ?

I lost my windows but I figured out how to instal LXLE. I also ended up buying a 4gb flash drive; both the flash drive and CD installation(setup) work now. I can instal LXLE now, but as I had entered into the LXLE installation I backed down(i am new to partitioning). Then when my computer rebooted I had lost windows 8(8.1 to be exact). Anybody know what to do now, how I can get windows back?

MY GOAL HAS BEEN TO HAVE LXLE AND WINDOWS 8 ON MY NEWER GATEWAY LAPTOP that was and still is the ideal. I figured LXLE would be far less abusive on the computer(in terms of hardware), and ofcourse whenever I want to open up 25 plus multiple web pages/tabs it wouldn't then cause the computer to crash. I wanted my new computer to run sorta like a City library computer. My main goal was and still is to use it for research.  

I installed LXLE on my old laptop a few weeks ago and it kicks ass. It's the newer laptop that I'm having all these problems with.

• ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Yes, you could partition the drive and install Windows again, but accepted wisdom is that a dual boot generally runs better if Windows is installed first.

You have options:

1. Reinstall Windows (format whole hard drive) and then reinstall LXLE on a new partition.

2.  You could install Windows 8 in a virtual environment in the existing LXLE install.

3.  You could try to create a partition for Windows 8 under the existing LXLE install.  (See caveat above.)