Linux Programs for Windows XP Users
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    For folks new to Linux finding the perfect program to replace one you've used for years can be a challenge.  Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols over at ZD Net shares his experience and has some worthy suggestions.  Although the article has a Linux Mint title, it applies to LXLE, too.  Enjoy!

Linux Mint programs for Windows XP users

Summary: Yes, many of your Windows programs aren't available on Linux, but some of
    them are and there are Linux programs that can do just as well as your
    old XP software.

Article at:  http://www.zdnet.com/linux-mint-programs-for-windows-xp-users-7000028049/

By the way, I'd argue with Steve about LibreOffice Calc ~ it can do a few things that Excel cannot!  (Although, I am sure he was speaking in general.)
  • Hi there! I'm absolutely new to anything Linux. I'm here because someone suggested to me that I replace Windows XP on my little Dell Inspiron 9 Notebook with a Linux program. The reason, of course, that XP is no longer supported after today (April 8, 2014). But, which operating system should I choose? One friend suggested LXLE since my notebook only has 1 GB RAM and a 16 GB solid state hard drive. So, capacity is an issue. Its processor is the Intel Atom. I will using the notebook when I travel to check emails, browse the internet a bit for news and article now and then, maybe work on some proposals and probably do some calculations and presentations. But, no gaming - maybe watch a youtube clip now and then. Is LXLE best? How the heck do I download it and install it? Is it free? I'd be very grateful for some help.
  • ZakaZaka
    Welcome, Knut!

LXLE should run fine on your notebook.  You can download through a torrent app ~ you can download  one of the free apps for Windows here:  http://www.top5freeware.com/top-5-bittorrent-clients-for-windows

Then, go the LXLE home page where you can hit the Download link and then open the download with the torrent app you installed.

When finished, burn the iso to a DVD and set your Inspiron to boot from the DVD ~ you can test drive LXLE and install from there!

Good Luck!
  • Hi Zaka!

Thanks for the quick reply. I've never used a torrent app before but I guess I should be OK following instructions. My little Dell notebook has only USB ports, so I can't burn to a DVD. But, wouldn't saving to a USB-connected drive be OK?

• Hi again Zaka;

I downloaded the utorrent and the LXLE v.12.... and put it on a 500 MB external harddrive connected via USB, since my notebook doesn't have a CD/DVD slot. But, it won't run from the USB when I ask the machine to boot from the "USB storage" source.  Any suggestions as to how to install LXLE from my USB drive? Thnx

• ZakaZaka
    1.  You make the iso 'executable'.

Download the free program (works in Windows): unetbootin   http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

burn the iso to the usb with that program (you'll have to point it to the LXLE iso you downloaded.) so it will be bootable.

You may have to tweak the BIOS setting to get it to boot from the USB ~ there should be another type of 'USB' device listed in the BIOS choice. 
  • I did it! In the midst of updating packages now, but I've got the wireless and wired connections plus sound going, so I'm on track! Thank you so much for your help!
  • ZakaZaka
    Congrats, Knut!

• I'm having problems with the email program, Sylpheed; I use an IMAP connection and I have checked and double-checked the settings but Sylpheed will not download my headings from the email server. Have you heard of similar problems from others? Should I install a different email program, if so - which one? Greateful for ay help here... :)
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    claws-mail seems to handle it just fine, which is included with lxle and is a fork of sylpheed.
  • rgloverglove
    PMPosts: 38
    Hello everyone im also trying to make the switch from windows to linux for the first time. i'm trying to install it on my windows 8 gateway laptop that i bought 6 months ago. I'm having a had time with it so far, and going to be using a DVD disk.

STEPS THAT I HAVE TAKEN SO FAR: 
    In the boot section of the BIOS i have moved up the ATAP 1 CDROM to 2nd in priority right after windows boot manager and right before HDD. 

I have downloaded LXLE 64 bit version 14.40 and ive burned it like i would any other file, though from what I've read you are only suppose to burn the iso image and not the whole file, is this true. 

I've also downloaded the free iso burner 1.2, but i don't know which one of these i need to burn through the free iso burner 1.2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dv37fcatxyah9m/iso image.jpg

please help.