Tricks in LXLE that you can change, alter or remove.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    In trying to provide a full fledged desktop that can run on aging computers, system memory usage is an important factor. Every 1mb counts, I feel this way regardless of whether its a new system and especially an older system. With multiple programs open and numerous tabs open in your browser, memory flies out the window handling all these request, and lets not even factor in videos and or flash content, or really any social media site.

I scoured through the system and enabled a couple techniques to keep memory down. Now some may argue. Hey I don't think that should have been done, or I would have done it this way. And to that I say, I hear ya and that's why I'm writing this post.

Two tricks I'll start off with that you can decide to alter, remove or change completely. Between these two tricks I was able to save about 30-50 megs in ram usage and occasional pauses while these programs were running in the background.

First the big one. I removed 'Update Notifier', not update manager, but update notifier. What, what, what.....? Now before everyone goes OMG, its really not that big of a thing. What I decided to do is go with a small simple script instead that I titled update reminder. Update notifier is quite the memory pig to be sitting at idle periodically checking for updates and bringing up the window, usually somewhere between 15-20 megs of ram.

The simple update reminder script on the other hand uses essentially no memory and simply launches 'Update Manager' periodically throughout the day. Simply reminding you to check for updates. This file is located in the /.config/autostart directory and the times between the intervals can be adjusted to your liking. You can also choose to remove it all together and just install update-notifier again through synaptic and proceed as normal.

The second thing was I ripped out 'Zietgeist' which in ubuntu is a service which logs the users’ activities and events, anywhere from files opened to websites visited and conversations had. It makes this information readily available for other applications to use. It is able to establish relationships between items based on similarity and usage patterns.

I have personally ripped this out of every system I've ever used and have seen 0 detrimental effects. However, this doesn't mean that everyone doesn't need it or want it. The basic principle is it acts as a logging system so perhaps some other technologies could use it. In everyday computing though, almost all programs you use will and does have their own logging/loggers/cache and rarely, if ever call on zeitgeist to do anything. Removing it always saves 15-20 megs of ram and increases performance since a whole bunch of logging isn't being done in the background.

So if those two tweaks are worrisome or troublesome to you in anyway, please feel free to alter, remove, or replace them. The decision was simply made to keep a streamlined, lean and mean full featured system for old putes. Yet all users not only need to know of the changes/tweaks but why it was done and how to make changes if they want.

I will be posting more of the tweaks enabled in LXLE here periodically. See ya soon.
  • faizfaiz
    PMPosts: 37
    Great work about removing Zeitgeist,not only the RAM matters but also I dont like anything or anybody logging my activities. I fully understand that I can not escape it completely but every single step helps.
    The update manager runs too frequently I guess, a 24 hours interval will do me good. But as I can alter it myself, no worries. :)
    FF, een though my favourite browser by far, has a big footprint. Wish Mozilla do something about it really.
    Thank you LXLE.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    When I decided to go with the update reminder script, I was worried about the people that only turn the computers on for a short time to check email or whatever and would miss updates, however I suppose I could have put a bigger break between the first one and the next ones.

I plan to clean that up here in the next build, which i do one periodically every month, Just so people don't have to update so much when they download a fresh copy. I'll post any updated code here as a tip/update so they can change it if they choose to do so.

As for firefox, my fav browser too, these two extensions can be pretty useful for memory help.

Suspend Tab

Memory Restart
  • faizfaiz
    PMPosts: 37
    Suspend tab worked really well for me.
  • WildbillWildbill
    PMPosts: 17
    After reading this thread I decided to disable Zietgeist on a Zorn machine and I was impressed on how much faster and smoother it ran.  Like with LXLE I have found no ill effects by disabling it. Just thought I would put this out there for anyone considering disabling it on another distro.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Question; I was just checking out the task manager and i noticed Zietgeist was running.  if it has been removed how did i get it back on my system?  Does Chromium install it?
  • lxlelxle
    Perhaps, I would attempt to remove it again using synaptic and see what it wants to pull with it.
    Thanked by 1Wildbill
  • It took the Dock manager with it.  I think it came in when I installed Docky, playing around with QSX.
  • After removing update-notifier-common via synaptics which has deps:

update-notifier-common        deinstall
    flashplugin-installer        deinstall
    ttf-mscorefonts-installer        deinstall

I had to install flash again like this:

adobe-flash-properties-gtk        install
    adobe-flashplugin        install
  • lxlelxle
    update-notifier-common actually should stay, its easier and safer to keep it, that part of update notifier is not what weighs down the system.
  • I especially enjoy your posts about what modifications you made, how you made them, and why you made them.  I am particularly impressed with how fast & responsive LXLE is, especially compared to its upstream parent.  You seem to have removed nearly all the fat and cruft, without sacrificing any functionality whatsoever.  Personally, I'm fascinated to learn more!  Please keep this posts coming!

P.S.  Are you RonnieW on the UbuntuForums, as I have seen several posts there by him and he seems to know a LOT about LXLE?