Some suggestions for 14.04 LTS
  • <snipped>

Aha...got it!  Nevermind.  I'll edit the original post.  Thanks lxle!
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    Usually when you display a 'local' pic/screenshot, etc., you have to use a 'hosting' service such as Imageshack or Photobucket (both free) to give the picture a web address ~ which you can then paste into the photo link/insert when posting.

• maccydgmaccydg
    PMPosts: 4
    Hi all,

I've had some time to try out this distro and there are many, many positive things about it. I have some problems using it (I don't think these are the fault of how the OS has been put together, but of one or more of the programs used by it) so I'm not going to switch over just yet, but I do have some feedback which will hopefully be useful:

(1) For WinXP users coming over to LXLE:
    Their first question will be "how do I launch an application?". There are no icons on the desktop and many will only realise that the dock is there when they mouse over it by accident, perhaps after lots of hunting around. Even then, they won't be familiar with docks. So my suggestion would be simply to get rid of the dock in the XP paradigm and instead have the program launch icons either on a launch bar in the main bottom bar, or as icons on the desktop. If they want to set up a dock later (very adventurous for your average Windows user!) then they can.

(2) For Unity users:
    I mucked about with making the Unity paradigm what is, in my opinion, more Unity-like (cos I like Unity - don't shoot me!) I'd suggest:
    * Making the dock full-height
    * Window close, maximise, minimise icons on the far left of the title bar
    * The ideal would then be to emulate the combined top panel and title bar of Unity, to regain a little bit more vertical screen space. The top panel could be empty except for the system panel, which could be shrunk to just occupy the right-hand side of the screen, and could have transparency. Unfortunately, it would also need an empty, full-width, opaque panel underneath it when viewing the desktop, or it would look a bit squiffy sat on its own on top of the desktop background.

(3) The function that minimises all windows except the Conky (I forget the name) should be keybound to Super-D. I use this keystroke loads in Windows and in Ubuntu.

(4) I'm not sure if this is possible, but perhaps the entire distro could be provided as an "lxle-desktop" package, to install over the top of an existing Ubuntu installation.

Sorry if any of these are duplicates of things already suggested - please ignore as appropriate!

Well done to all those involved in making this distro!
  • boruncoborunco
    PMPosts: 229
    (I would like to suggest that Tony George's Conky Manager be added to
    14.04. A nice surprise about 12.04 was that Conky was implemented by
    default, however the conky that ships with LXLE sort of looks like a
    small rat on the right side of my screen and I would like to change it
    to something different. I have Conky Manager installed on my laptop but
    it seems to be rather unstable. It is April 21 and probably way too late
    to include it in the first 14.04 release, but please consider it. Thank
    you.)

To reply to that, the conky in LXLE is a super stable conky that starts at log in. this if difficult if you are starting from scratch, but it is very easy to change the conky script. You can look at conky tutorials in this forum. The thing is, conky can be configured into almost anything you want and everybody is going to have there ideas. That's why that basic conky is so perfect, it give you a working base to launch from.
    NEVER STOP LEARNING
    Acer Aspire One N270 130Gig ssd 2Gig ram
    LXLE 32bit
  • Minor browser bookmark suggestion: add 'BBC News' to the 'News' bookmarks choice list.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    its there already
  • Switched from Win 7 to this distro after reviewing many.  Love it.  Thank you.  One suggestion, so far.  Please add "Add a New Pane" to "Customize Look and Feel".  After accidentally deleting both panes it was a real chore to get them back (had to copy generic user panel file to my home directory to finally get them back). Thanks again.

Rick
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • Just trying 14.04 in a live boot. Does not seem very different from 12.04 version. However I would like to see Unetbootin added to the list of applications, as well as ConkyManager.

A facility to auto change the wallpaper at regular intervals would also be nice.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    Thanks for the suggestions

As for wallpaper

http://wiki.lxle.net/doku.php/configuration