LXLE (Focal) Beta Now Available.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    As promised I'm making available the beta release of LXLE 20.04.4 which I'm simply naming (Focal) as it makes more sense for a distribution such as LXLE to have one release per LTS version of Ubuntu that's had time to mature and stabilize. This approach allows for older systems to benefit by ensuring their hardware hasn't had support dropped due to a latest greatest kernel or LTS version. In effect it takes on a more Debian stable style focus while providing some PPA's/Repositories to enable updated versions of vital software users heavily depend upon such as LibreOffice.

This version has been a bit troublesome to build as some of the usual tools used to create LXLE have not been updated in some time. I'm planning on offering a 'bounty' to developers to update those tools making them available to all. That being said I was able to produce a working build that currently has one caveat. I've included a ReadMe on the desktop that asks the user to disconnect from the internet before installing the OS as the Ubiquity installer tends to hang trying to pull packages from online mirrors.

This version introduces some new software that is meant to replace the aging Seamonkey Suite that currently is battling many sites which simply no longer work as intended. One such piece of software is LibreWolf as the web browser which is a privacy focused modification of Firefox which has removed telementary, pocket and added internal 'hardening' which promotes safer browsing. I've also slightly modified the browser to keep memory use down.

As far as speed this version is seemingly very fast. System76's kernel modifications have been added which optimize the desktop for speed when on AC power. The system is very responsive and snappy however it's more noticeable after the second boot of the installed OS as the first boot has some cleanup to do after being freshly installed such as refreshing the package list, removing unneeded files and first run modifications.

As always a beta requires testing, testing and more testing. I'm hoping as usual there isn't much that needs corrected before the final release. At which time I'll update all the 'help' documentation to reflect the changes in the new version.

Below is a link to iso and md5 files available on Sourceforge.

https://www.lxle.net/images/focaldesktop.jpg

Download

• verdantverdant
    PMPosts: 6
    Many thanks for this! :) LXLE has been my go to Linux Ubuntu respin since 2016 because it is so snappy on my old desktop PCs and works so well with the USB wifi adaptor (RTL8811CU) and brektrou's Wi-Fi adapter driver for Linux that they all need (BTW all my desktop PC have LGA775 MOBOS, a Core 2Quad CPU and DDR2 PC2-6400 RAM)
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    Users of LXLE for some time know that I purposely leave something I plan on adding out of the beta as a bit of surprise in the final release. This version is no different.
  • verdantverdant
    PMPosts: 6
    Look forward to it :) I am using the beta and so far the only issue is the slowed shutdown temporarily hanging on CUPS, but as you say it is very fast.... :)
    On my wish list would be DKMS and my USB RTL8811CU wi fi driver pre-installed i.e. https://github.com/brektrou/rtl8821CU.
    I install Wine, RedShift, Zoom, and Spotify manually.
  • lxlelxle
    That's good but don't get to comfortable you'll want to install the final instead of the beta....
  • dodceldodcel
    PMPosts: 11
    Congratulations through the version Beta.
    LXLE good option for Computers and Notebooks old.
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • For me the surprise was to know about beta release... I checked Distrowatch.com every day if there was update for LXLE, but no... I didn't looked at left bar under "Latest Distributions".
    And yesterday I googled for LXLE 20.04 and woolaa 9to5Linux channel offering review of distro I was waiting for...
    It is being downloaded now and I hope to write back about it soon.
  • Can you make a torrent? Sourceforge is too slow, max was 25KB/sec and ETA is 1day
  • jsgarciajsgarcia
    PMPosts: 1
    I don't know if someone suggested this before, but concerning to LXDE and all QT stuff on it, maybe migrating LXLE to OPENBOX with taskbar and other complements would be an alternative to keep GTK approach.
  • dodceldodcel
    PMPosts: 11
    I installed LXLE Focal Beta on a computer with a processor AMD Sempron 3000, 2 Gb memory, HD 320 Gb.
    I installed without internet, the installation went without any problem.
    On the first boot I did the updates, and also without any problem, even had a Kernel update (5.4.0-110-generic).
    LXLE Beta is very fast and light, congratulations to the whole team.

Thanked by 1lxle