Modifying Panels / Theming LXLE
  • Where is the icons location?

For example; If you put the winfile.png into /home/johnrico/.icons <- this is your path

Icon=/home/johnrico/.icons/winfile.png

If the icons exist elsewhere you need to point to it. 

Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/my_icon.png
  • I've been spoiled by Windows FileManager NT32 with drag and drop capability and also by File Commander, with multiple frame capability.

As I am trying to transition to Linux, using PCfileFM, Dolphin, Thunar and now SpaceFM, it's a tad frustrating.  I know exactly what you mean, but I am having difficulty actually getting the files to go where I want them to go, and just as much difficulty sometimes, in locating them after I've clicked on the file (sometimes a zip file).

- Explanation deleted, as URLs and CLI commands seemed to make the post go off kilter in my browser. -

So, a guide as to unpacking downloaded files and getting them into their proper directories seems to be my biggest challenge.

Not sure what's happening to this post, but I've deleted an explanation with the directories I have and the results I'd like to have, but, it's resulting in large, yellowed-out areas of the post.

Thanks in advance.

• I'll try posting this link by itself.  I tried before, but I was getting a huge, yellowed-out section of post, and the text was invisible, as if CLI commands or URLs was affecting the look of the post in the forum.

HOW TO INSTALL THEMES IN UBUNTU
    https://itsfoss.com/install-themes-ubuntu/

I'm missing a middle step, apparently.

• Looks like you are on track, sorry I was trouble shooting a build. Funny story too, client called me up (old lady, grandma old) and she told me her machine has a virus or something, it won't let her log in.  I go there and pop in a thumb drive to boot, and her drive is full with zero bytes!  Naturally I start looking for the largest file.  Turns out to be an image file in her download folder.  I asked her what she downloaded.  I moved the file out to another partition and rebooted.  Her PC started back up. So does the torrent her PC was downloading.  Her grandson was downloading a game ROM for his console.  I told her, this is why I really recommend a password.

Back on Topic
    A lot of what you are looking at is meant for Gnome Shell.  The shell used for LXLE is a little of LXDE and Open Box mixed.  You can go to the prompt and type echo $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP

It will return LXDE, but this is just the system variable. The Task Manager will show you are running OpenBox Window Manager. These are bare bones shells.  Gnome, Unity, KDE are full of bells and whistles that cause memory to bloat. 

Frankly, if LXLE wants this to be less bloated, they should remove the Pulseaudio and go straight ALSA.  The idea of PA is to make some audio software to just plug and play. If you want to mess with sound perfection or you are a musician, I can understand the need for PA. For just the basics, all you need is ALSA.

Here is a link: http://www.lxlinux.com/index.html to check out.  I am not saying these Gnome themes will not work, but they will need some tweaks.

• Oh btw something you said in the post above just "clicked"... at my age the brain needs lots of coffee to function.

Pcmanfm has a dual-pane view, View --> Dual Pane Mode or F3.

"I've been spoiled by Windows FileManager NT32 with drag and drop
    capability and also by File Commander, with multiple frame capability.
    "

I think that is what you were talking about above?