Screensaver Preferences not working as it should
  • Hi all!

I have installed a week ago LXLE OS on an old desktop pc in order to transform my plasma TV Panasonic 107 cm  (42'') with 15-PIN SUB connection into a Smart TV.

The desktop has a:
    Pentium D945 processor
    AGP 8X graphic card
    2 Gb DDR 2 RAM (maximum supported by the motherboard)

The youtube video clips run very very well, also the movies, and I love already the LXLE OS, especially the wallpapers.

However, I have a big, big problem:
    After 10 minutes of movie watch, the screen goes black.
    I have to raise myself and go near the TV to move the mouse in order to get back on the screen the movie image.

I have tried to change in  SCREENSAVER PREFERENCES the values:
    I have put:
    Blank after:     180 minutes
    Cycle after: 180 minutes

with no success.

For the purpose of what I have installed LXLE (watching long movies from my sofa), this bug is very annoying.

If I watch a 3 hours movie , this means 180 minutes, then I have to go 18 times to the computer to move the mouse.

I need help, please!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    The bug is due to how Lubuntu implemented their power management feature. I took care of this in the new beta. I think it would probably be better if you installed the beta. Particularly if your using it on your TV. You'll see why I suggest it once you install it :)

If you don't want to try the beta, then make sure to set your power management which you can find in the preferences or system tools menu.  The power manager and screensaver currently butt heads, the beta corrects this. :)
  • Kreator1Kreator1
    PMPosts: 3
    Thank you very much for your answer.

I will first try the power management feature, and that because I have just recently installed LXLE, and I suppose it should be a quicker solution to my problem.

If I would not succeed with power management, I will go for the new beta install.

Thanks  again, and once again, LXLE looks great!

This is an awesome Linux distribution!

Thanked by 1lxle
  • lxlelxle
    Cool, the other reason I suggested the beta is the bookmarks toolbar is packed with media stuff, I went for trying to create a simple free reason to cancel netflix. :) And minitube has been updated and is super nice.
  • Tried minitube yesterday evening and it crashed on me :( - any hints?
  • lxlelxle
    Since its a fresh install, you should give the beta a whirl. I think you'll be happy with the extra work.  Minitube is updated in the beta.
  • @Kreator1

I found the answer, by going to the help menu of the app, and which took me to the website.
    At the website there are FAQ's.
    One of the FAQ's was the problem that you describe.

The solution is written there, step by step.

Basically, in the first screen that comes up in the app (not advanced) when you open it, there is an option to turn the screen saver off.

Then when you want to use your screen saver again, you must manually turn it on again.

That's the easiest thing to do.

There are other solutions involving command line snippets, and such, but that is probably not what you need.  I sure don't.

Hope that helps.

ONE THING WEIRD - I notice, now, that when my movies play, a black screen appears, for about one second, at about the time the screen saver used to kick in.  I can live with that bug.  But I guess it should be reported.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful citizens can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
  • Hi all!

Thank you for your answers.

In the end I decided to go for a fresh installation of the Beta version, and not try other solutions, this also because I have had only recently installed LXLE, and I had just a few settings made in my previous installation.

Now everything runs well (after setting the screensaver value to 300 min).

And... the beautiful wallpapers are 100 in this Beta version (instead of 50 on the previous version).

I have only tested LXLE for a half an hour or so after the install.

I will try the next days to find why you suggested:
    "I think it would probably be better if you installed the beta.
    Particularly if your using it on your TV. You'll see why I suggest it
    once you install it"

Any tip?   :D

Thanks again to all of you!

:D
  • lxlelxle
    Bookmarks toolbar in firefox
  • Hi all, eish! LXLE screensaver (?) I closed the lid of the notebook, then opened it, and it keeps on going black so I have to press the mouse or keys to keep the screen on. Is there an update, patch, upgrade, or something available to stop this behavior?

• lxlelxle
    openscreensaver and disable or change the time between going black.