LXLE really that easy?
  • I am looking for a simple OS to resurect an older Laptop. Up to now all the Linux derivatives I have tried have worked EXEPT I ALWAYS have to start editing the config type of stuff to get things working, like the wifi card or even just the right storage space for the system files. Can someone tell me BEFORE I start downloading and burning ISO's if LXLE will need the same skills? If so then I won't waste my time.
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    Did this computer come with Linux pre-installed?

If not, then it was not built for Linux.

Since it was not built for Linux there is a good chance not all of your hardware will work out of the box.

LXLE is built to run on older low resource boxes but there is no guarantee  you won't have to adjust some config files or track down a driver for your box to run.
  • Well I tried it, burned an iso disk, and lo and behold... some 'kernel' problem requiring a 'forcepae' command [but no command window to let one give it a go]. LXLE is being discribed as 'flexible' and ready for just about any machine. Mine's a Dell Inspiron, so not too old or strange. No one is saying the machine has to be dedicated to Linux. Well that's another disk to add to the pile... no LXLE for me....
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    'some kernel problem' requiring 'forcepae' doesn't say much and actually wouldn't occur... so in other words... what was the actual error or behavior when trying to boot lxle from a usb or dvd which is also important to know as well as which inspiron
  • nik0lausnik0laus
    PMPosts: 5
    If your laptop has a pentium M CPU then you need to "forcepae":

So boot from the usb or dvd and when the first menu appears press "Tab" key

You will  see a line under the menu that says:

/casper.vmlinuz file ...blablabla... casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --

Edit this line and add the "forcepae" parameter with spaces twice around -- at the end making it looking like :

/casper.vmlinuz file ...blablabla... casper/initrd.lz quiet splash forcepae -- forcepae

forcepae -- forcepae note:

"forcepae"  is required twice because it sets the boot
    parameters for two different kernel boots - the kernel that runs as part
    of the installer-live sessi
    on (left of --), and the kernel that runs on the installed system (right of --)

The text at the end should be -- forcepae   , not --forcepae . There is a space between -- and forcepae

Press "Enter" and everything will be ok

Salute moi le platan