Weather app visual issue
  • The wather app, as I've seen on a youtube video, is supposed to look like this:

but mine has this awful look, the terminal is displaying letters instead of lines:

These are the settings in my /usr/share/applications/weather.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Exec=uxterm -title Weather_Forecast -geometry 130x41 +sb -hold -e curl wttr.in
    Icon=weather-few-clouds-night
    StartupNotify=true
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;
    Name=Weather

What should I change to get the normal look in the app?

Thank you very much in advance!
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    might be able to fix it by fulling installing your language pack...

http://www.lxle.net/forums/discussion/1294/language-support-easy-fix/p1

Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Thank you very much for you help!

It didn't solve it, tried first installing my language (pt_PT) from Synaptic (no luck, remained the same even after reboot) and then the second option of reinstalling the locales by typing in the terminal:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install locales

but still no luck, I keep on getting the same display with special characters instead of lines.

Here's the output of locale, locale -a and localectl:

$ locale
    LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=pt:pt_BR:en
    LC_CTYPE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_PT.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

$  locale -a
    C
    C.UTF-8
    en_AG
    en_AG.utf8
    en_AU.utf8
    en_BW.utf8
    en_CA.utf8
    en_DK.utf8
    en_GB.utf8
    en_HK.utf8
    en_IE.utf8
    en_IN
    en_IN.utf8
    en_NG
    en_NG.utf8
    en_NZ.utf8
    en_PH.utf8
    en_SG.utf8
    en_US.utf8
    en_ZA.utf8
    en_ZM
    en_ZM.utf8
    en_ZW.utf8
    POSIX
    pt_BR.utf8
    pt_PT.utf8

$ localectl
       System Locale: LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
                      LANGUAGE=pt:pt_BR:en
           VC Keymap: n/a
          X11 Layout: pt
           X11 Model: pc105 

All seems fine, all is set to UTF-8. I really have no idea what could be the issue.

Once again thank you very much for everything!
  • lxlelxle
    Be sure to use the language tool to change the system wide default.
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • So this must be some kind of language issue with Portuguese languages, both Portuguese from Portugal and Brazilian Portuguese. I did a lot of testing, uninstalled and installed again language packs (had to do a ton of rebooting) and I found out that the weather app works perfectly if both the language and region are set to English.

When languages are installed from Synaptic and I go to Menu -- Control Menu -- Preferences -- Languages, the language just installed from Synaptic always has the label "Some language packs are missing". The same label was displayed on the languages previously installed that came with the LXLE package. So in Languages it's always needed to highlight a language and click "Install language packs".
    After that the label changes to "Fully installed".

pt_PT and pt_BR languages are also not changing the name of the folders (Documents, Pictures, Music...), only the Rubbish Bin is being renamed and all the rest remains in English.

So it's an issue with the Portuguese language, happening both with Portuguese from Portugal and Portuguese from Brazil. Neither the Language or Region can be set to Portuguese, I tested and if either one of them is set to Portuguese the issue happens.

Can you or someone please test it to see if the issue happens? 

Once again thank you very much for your help!
  • lxlelxle
    visit the wttr.in site and see if there is something there they might be able to tell you.
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • lxlelxle
    once question? outside of changing the language did you also change the overall system fonts?
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • lxlelxle
    I'm thinking that perhaps the character used to created the 'lines' is just simply a different character in Portuguese.
    Thanked by 1pemartins
  • Before I address the rest of the stuff, I did not change the system fonts, should I? If so, it should be done in Font Manager, right? And what should I be changing?
  • Just another couple of things beside needing to change the fonts or not, the display has no issues at wttr.in with the language set to Portuguese in Firefox or Opera. In a browser all is ok.

And the issue could be that for some reason when the language is set to Portuguese, the terminal does no display unicode characteres. I instaled and tested on pterm and no luck either:
    In pterm properties the translation is properly set to utf-8 so it must not be a setting issue.
  • lxlelxle
    of course in the browser it will be ok the website can determine what font will be displayed
    Thanked by 1pemartins
This discussion has been closed.
All Threads