Language Support Easy Fix
  • pauldpauld
    PMPosts: 30
    My interest is mostly to have mintlocale to work (most languages refuse
    to add for me). I now realised that when run in terminale, it will show
    the localedef command it try to run and can test it to see what seems
    wrong:
    gl@gl:~$ sudo localedef -f UTF-8 -i fr_CA fr_CA.UTF-8
    Ne peut ouvrir le fichier des particularisations « fr_CA »: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

localedef --help shows that:
    Dossier système de la table des caractères : /usr/share/i18n/charmaps
                                de la table des répertoires : /usr/share/i18n/repertoiremaps
                                du chemin des particularisations :
    /usr/lib/locale:/usr/share/i18n

So 'particularisations should be both /usr/lib/locale and /usr/share/i18n ...
    but I think it act like if only /usr/share/i18n/ is used.

Maybe localedef just not support more than one default localtion?
    Need more investigation.

Edit1: Oh I think /usr/lib/locale is 'compiled' locales, and source are
    in /usr/share/i18n/ and have just a few languages present.

Edit2: I did:
    sudo apt-get --reinstall install locales
    which fixed installing french in mintlocale for me.

dpkg --verify locales
    was giving many problems before that.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    did reinstall locales work?
  • pauldpauld
    PMPosts: 30
    For me yes.
    From there, I was able to go in menu/Control Menu/Preferences/Languages and use the graphical environment without problems.
    I then removed locales-all that I was using as a workaround.
    But running bodhibuilder was still a problem, I edited the file that called it to become:
    LC_ALL=fr_CA.utf8 /usr/bin/bodhibuilder
    or something similar.

• lxlelxle
    ok, thx, pretty sure I know how to correct the next update... I still want to employ the space saving technique as it saved more than 250 megs, but as a previous user pointed out, the distro should at least be offering the largest of languages.

• As our British friends might say, I am gobsmacked that you would prevent users of other than US English from running a live boot and/or full installation of LxLe just in order to save some 250 megs. Is your current iso not barely almost 1.5GB when any DVD-R has a capacity of  4.7GB? Every version and release of Ubuntu I have used in the past ten years, when one boots the DVD it displays first a choice of language and keyboard. My personal language choices are UK English and Canadian French whilst using a Canadian keyboard. Has no-one at LxLe had their iso live boot and install tested by users of languages other than US English? Frankly, your pride in saving 250 megs impacts greatly one's consideration using LxLe.
  • lxlelxle
    Frankly no one is paying for anything. So I really wish people would stop acting like they just lost a lot of money or insinuate that they will 'take their business elsewhere'. What business? It was simply a decision to save some space on a respin. There was nothing sinister about it. While in hindsight it wasn't my best decision considering the hassle it's caused when installing other languages. It's not the end of the world.