Introducing LXLE 14.04.4 'Posh' Release Candidate
  • Well, I installed it twice on my latitude d630. Wireless and mousepad work during the install but both, including the hard nic, do not work out of the box at the login screen after rebooting. Keyboard works fine but my only adapter is the loopback and can't install any additional drivers due to a complete lack of internet.

lspci is showing the BCM5775M and BCM4311 controllers but no adapters.

Can confirm would not pick up a usb mouse either. Strange.

Don't have much time now to delve into it too deeply but later this week I will.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    did you download updates during install?
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    Does the wireless on/off keystroke do anything? - Fn F2 as I recall but open to correction. I used to run a D620 and it was a bear to get the BCM4311 working - that was around 2010/2012. Turned out to be an issue with the module blacklist.

I know this sounds a bit odd, but it may just be worth resetting your BIOS to default - even if you haven't changed anything in there.

I use a couple of HP laptops of the same vintage and with the same foul Broadcom controller. On a couple of occasions I have had a similar issue with network/sound clashes and that was a way out.

On a wider note I have seen odd behaviour with all recent versions of LXLE where the wireless connection often gets dumped during installation. It's normally just after entering all the user details, though I've never done a timed analysis of exactly when and under what conditions. It has always been possible to connect after installation completes so it's not quite the same as your issue.

On the Posh install I had left my user folder intact but deleted/moved all dot files and ./ files. The wireless connection dropped and also the user folder was not populated properly. Repeat with different new user and it stays up throughout and installs correctly. No big deal - I've gone over to using symlinks to my data folders for future messing around which I'd been meaning to do for ages anyway.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    I never connect to the internet during an install.
  • The first time I installed I did not choose updates and was asked to connect to the wireless during setup. The second time I did choose updates but no prompt for wireless. Touchpad worked during setup both times. Outcome was the same. I will wipe all parts tonight and start fresh.. see what happens. Also noticed checkboxes were not visible during the setup process.

bin, I'll try the BIOS suggestion as a last resort.
  • Reinstalled fresh just now. Had mouse and wireless connectivity during setup but did not connect to my wap. Installation went smooth but once again no mouse or eth/wireless. Can use keyboard to navigate around somewhat. Looks like only int showing is lo1. (ifconfig -a). At this point I may just dl 14.04.3 and see if that is working.
  • binbin
    PMPosts: 41
    OK - if you've got an installed version with no mouse/wifi, please do:-
    lsmod | grep b43

I would hope to see something like this - but you may not get anything.
    b43                   387371  0
    bcma                   52096  1 b43
    mac80211              630728  1 b43
    cfg80211              484040  2 b43,mac80211
    ssb                    62379  2 b43,ssb_hcd

At this point try doing:-
    sudo modprobe -r b43
    sudo modprobe b42

I'm pretty sure that was what I had to do with my D610.

Also, what happens if you have an external mouse plugged in as opposed to the trackpad. Can you connect to a router via ethernet cable?
  • hyllihylli
    PMPosts: 10
    @lxle
    Can you answer to this question from @ElQuia:
    "Is there o will there be an upgrade path for existing installs of 14.04.3?"

Thx
    Hylli
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    Just installed the download from Sourceforge 14.04.3 from a couple days ago.  After is was installed, the system profiler etc shows that I've installed 14.04.4.   Did the updates from today do that?  Or was it just a mis-labelling on Sourceforge?

In any event, looks great.  I get messages upon log in that the Vbox is not running and exiting.  Not sure what that means.  Do we now get Vbox with the installation?

Looks great, Ronnie. 

Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit
  • iduhknoiduhkno
    PMPosts: 161
    Curious:   Will 16.04 require a complete reinstall, or will it just upgrade via SPM?  I'm trying to decide how attached to become to my latest boxes.
    Loving Eclectica, 16.04.2 64bit