File Manager (pcmanfm) has Insufficient Permissions to extract and install compressed files
  • Hello Experienced Linux Users,

Long time Windows user, exploring and evaluating LXLE, and now attempting to use File Manager to extract compressed icon files, currently located in /Downloads sub-directory. 

The files need to be extracted to the /.icons sub-directory.

Problem: using File Manager, clicking in the compressed file, and responding to the query as 'where to extract to?' suddenly /.icons sub-directory cannot be found.

Attempting to manually type in the file location results in an error message, indicating that File Manager has insufficient permission to extract and install those files.

How to give File Manager full authority to extract and install selected files wherever they are needed?

Many thanks in advance.
  • lxlelxle
    PMPosts: 2,656
    you can open the directory as root by right clicking on it and selecting 'open as root'... or you could launch pcmanfm from the terminal as root using gksu pcmanfm.
    Thanked by 1Johnny_Rico
  • Thanks! It's incredibly frustrating File Manager acting that way.

I've loaded LXLE on another testbed and I don't recall it defaulting to not having that permission level.

Can you (or anyone) tell me how to avoid it (Pcman / file manager) having limited permissions in the future?

Thanks!