XFCE for LXLE
  • Grizzly907LAGrizzly907LA
    PMPosts: 1
    How about an XFCE version? You can call it XFLE, and use the XFCE desktop environment instead of the the LXDE environment. LXLE overall is a great operating system for older and low powered computers and it visually stunning unlike other Linux Distro's that cater to lower end and older PC's. The wallpapers and themes are stunning. I also love the fact that you have the apps I like already pre-installed!!! I am not a big fan of kitchen sink distro's, but I am making an exception for this one, because its ready to roll out of the box. 

Good work!!!
    Thanked by 1lxle
  • ZakaZaka
    PMPosts: 202
    imo, with four 'paradigms' there is little need for the XFCE desktop environment, as you've noted, LXLE is ready to roll out of the box.  In other words, why mess with perfection?

However, as Linux distros are so flexible, desktops, windows managers and display managers can be plugged and played at a whim.

That said, the more configs offered, the heavier support load for the developer, eh?
  • mfrazzzmfrazzz
    PMPosts: 18
    LXLE is based off of Lubuntu and is specifically built with LXDE in mind.  Switching to XFCE4 would change quite a bit.  It would be easier for someone (not suggesting lxle) to create their own similar distro based off of Xubuntu to have an XFCE4 base.  Mint has community spins of the main distro, so maybe something you (or someone else) might work towards if you really want it.  

Another option would be to take a look at Linuxlite as its XFCE4 based and similar (in ways) to LXLE. I ran the 12.04 version of LinuxLite for the past 6 months and found LXLE from someone in the Linuxlite forums suggesting LXLE as a better option for what they were asking about.  After playing around with LXLE for awhile, I'm changing over to LXLE now as it fits for me better.  For the most part LXDE offers about everything XFCE4 does and is a little lighter on resources (even with me running compton for window effects).

Is there something specific about XFCE4 that you need or really like over LXDE, or is it more that you are used to XFCE4 and therefore feel more at home with it? 
  • rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210

• rfry85rfry85
    PMPosts: 210
    You might be interested in what I have been working on. Here is my lxde paradigm (profile) 

I used tint2 for the bottom panel, nautilus to handle the desktop, and xfce4-panel for the side panel. 

I'm thinking because of the way lxsession handles profiles and the customizability of LXDE you should be able to create a paradigm, that uses the  xfwm4 window manager instead of openbox. I'm thinking if you put @xfwm4 --replace in the autostart (/etc/xdg/lxsession/lxde/autostart) of lxde or another profile, you may have an xfce4 mini enviroment. you'd also need to change the panel from lxpanel to xfce4-panel(which you need to install along with xfwm4.

I'd fry it in a virtualbox install first though.

Then hopefully you can just login to one of the lxle pardigms or the modified lxde profile, and  hopefully one won't interfere with the other.